1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"The Nazarenes just moved in next door. Great folks, but my God, the noise! Constant sawing and hammering from the shop."

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nobody is laughing or gawking or heckling. You'd know if I was doing any of those 3.

The question was if posters here believe as fact that Jesus' physical body rose up, or if they believe it was his soul.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For the record I didn't take @Songbird's questions and responses to answers as "gawking", etc.

4. doctorquant

An offering from us Anglican(-ish) folks to lighten the mood ...

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

According to the afterlife education I received, doesn’t everyone’s “soul” rise after they die? Isn’t their “soul” what goes to heaven or hell?

The way Jesus would’ve been unique and Godly would be if his actual, physical body rose up.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

That's above my pay grade.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Asrael-

Good rubric, good pull, check it out.
    [​IMG]

Azrael likes this.
  9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Whether it’s Christianity, Islam, Hinduism or any other religion, the view from my perspective is that they’ve all had a net negative impact on humanity. The fundamental message of all is to be kind, but inevitably each has served repeatedly as a wedge to drive people apart and commit atrocities on one another.

Slacker likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mine too, but it's a foundational question.

What makes someone a Christian? A Jew? A Muslim?

Which "belief" - from the lists enumerated in those books - is the cornerstone of that faith?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 1.12.23 PM.png

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is an interesting philosophical question, but it can often lead to a place of disrespect and possible unpleasantness. According to any Orthodox Jew, I'm not Jewish. They often aren't shy about saying it, too. Who decides if they are right?

My best friend has been a devout Catholic his entire life. It sustained him through two battles with cancer and in my mind and his, that faith is as strong as ever. That said, he stopped going to church a few years ago. The hypocrisy of the institution, specifically the way they handled priests abusing children for decades, drove him away. Is he still Catholic?

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted