1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Long-term advertising contracts are the only thing keeping the print edition alive in a lot of markets.

As a person in a high place at a newspaper company told me a few years ago: “Let’s just say that when a press breaks, we aren’t going to fix it.”

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My son the new homeowner bought a grill, a charcoal Weber. He got a fire starting chimney and yesterday he had his first cookout. Said it went fine but he had a hard time finding paper to put in the bottom on the chimney because "we don't have any newspaper in the house." He lives in Brooklyn so I told him to go out and buy a Sunday Times this weekend. He and his wife are like Target A for most of the advertisers on earth, working couple with good jobs, new child, new home, etc. And he hasn't bought a print paper since the Red Sox won the 2004 Series when he was in college.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

https://tjpage2.blog/2023/06/23/boo-hoo-houston-cheated-six-years-ago/

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Having intimate knowledge of one of those shops, it was a successful strategy, even when you had enough time to write a traditional gamer. A column/feature/insider based off a game has a longer tail than a traditional gamer.

PaperDoll and Alma like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, I was doing it in 1982 covering Knoxville Blue Jays Double-A games. Write feature, include score, put a little "Notes" header at the end where you write a paragraph or two about the game.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nope, won't go there. And it may be a function of my age, but no.

Allowed, the gamer must change with the times -- less play-by-play, more telling why or how what happened, happened. But a well-crafted gamer is still a delight.

And it's not sticking the final score into the second graf of a feature.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IMO, the "gamer" means different things when it's 1 game out of 12 vs. 1 of 162.

SFIND, Alma, I Should Coco and 2 others like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No. He needs these.

[​IMG]

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Simers can be…Simers, but a magazine-style sports front, every day, will be exhausting.

SixToe likes this.
  10. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Simers, believing he was entitled to be paid $250,000 a year to write a column three times a week until the day that he died, sued for millions of dollars.

Now you can see why the Times was trying desperately to get other voices in the paper.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Simers might be surprised at how few people actually know who he is.

(laughs before the joke like ron desantis)

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted