1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The new sports page sucks

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Print section was all of four pages today. Half of those pages devoted to the A's.

poindexter likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Somebody should tell TJ that the bitter angry old man look isn’t good.

[​IMG]

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh. He's right about the new LAT sports page - moronic idea, New Coke level - and Alden.

HanSenSE, dixiehack and SixToe like this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yeah, this article was long, but definitely worth reading for some good perspective. Too much perspective.

Along the way to finishing it, I, somehow, thought of two long ago scenes of TV-watching from my youth. (Crazy, I know, but really, they kind of make sense, in a terrible kind of way, and the memories floated up from out of nowhere).

Remember the episode of The Brady Bunch, in which Greg makes a movie about the first settlers from the Mayflower in America, and talks about how, over the course of their first winter, the pilgrims "grew sicker, and sicker. And sicker"? That occurred to me as I read about these pillaged papers.

And, remember that Growing Pains episode where Carol Seaver tries her hand at newspaper writing for the school journalism class, and uses her smarts to show off her vocabulary instead of keeping in mind to "keep it simple, Stupid?" Her teacher was critical in correcting her, remarking, in a like tone to make his point that her article "was replete with stinky-osity."

Yeah, that would be an apt description of Alden, and its approach to newspapers. You get that, in full force. Wow.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    TigerVols likes this.
  9. MileHigh

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

TJ isn't skilled enough to be pulling this third act.

He's the old guy in that meme who accidentally drags the hard drive to the trash.

MileHigh and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted