1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tnt cancels 'men of a certain age'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Aaaggh. This is terrible, terrible news. Easily one of my five favorite shows. I sure hope the idea referenced above prevails -- that it can go somewhere else and flourish.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Go back to Mooseport, Ray Romano, you assfaced munt (as in male c-word).

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They're losing The Closer after this season too. Although, I think Rizzoli and Isles is the biggest hit on TNT.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

not to worry, red. i'll always be way ahead of you in terms of watching an embarrassing amount of tube... 'necessary roughness' appeals to me in theory, for all the reasons you suggest but its been transparent and poorly written thus far. i can be patient with any project callie is attached to -- even though she can be shrill (i HATE her 'rescue me' character, but loved her on 'homicide: life in the street').

yeah, and you think YOU watch too much tv?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Okay... I like Franklin and Bash :( The promos for that and Memphis Beat and The Closer are annoying, because they are constantly - CONSTANTLY! - on during every break, even if you're already watching the show. But kind of like Psych, F&B is light and playful about its format. Also, Malcolm McDowell is awesome as their boss.

I wonder if expense is the main reason Men is going away. It can't be that cheap to be paying salaries for Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula. While I'd put Bakula on a lower tier than the other two, all three are solid actors that have carried shows, vs. the usual character actors TNT leads their stuff with.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Never watched a single episode of "Something About Raymond," so I had no chance to hate Romano previously.

As part of this show, though, I thought he was part of an excellent cast.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm meh on Rizzoli and Isles. They look incredible, both Diane Lane All-Stars, but it's basically a generic buddy cop show with no humor and two strong female leads.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

They are losing Kyra Sedgwick. Plans are to continue the series without her.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tnts-the-closer-may-live-on-with-extended-final-season-more/

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With Mary McDonnell's Capt. Raydor stepping in, The Closer might be even better. I love the supporting cast, but other then helping with the FBI stuff, her homelife doesn't do much for the show.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I liked Franklin & Bash the first time I watched it ... when it was called The Defenders.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I never watched a single episode of this show and now the cancellation.
    Looks like I'll never see it. Oh well.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Exactly how I felt when Studio 60 was canned after one year. Such a genius show, but the market for it was way too small.

Draft saved Draft deleted