1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Does that apply to dash cams? Does the cop instruct the driver to turn off the dash camera at the beginning of every traffic stop?

So dumb.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is the most unAmerican thing I have heard in weeks. Even with all the exceptions in the bill, filming in public is about the most basic litmus test of a free society I can think of.

The discouraging thing is that the ease of cell phone video over the last decade + has been amazing in exposing all kinds of abusive and illegal things police used to get away with. We should be celebrating the transparency effect it has had. Derek Chauvin got held to account because of it.

You have to question how nefarious someone's motives are when they are trying to limit it.

Either way, it's the most clearcut first amendment issue imaginable. Hopefully the judiciary isn't too busy wading into all kinds of things the actual Constitution doesn't address to do what it's supposed to do.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

OscarMadison, Batman and dixiehack like this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

the funny part: they cut the distance from 15 to 8 feet, because they felt 15 feet was.....unconstitutional

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That’s a hell of a whoopsie.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t the headline be: “14-year old dead after police raid” or “Police raid leaves 14-year old dead, or even “Police raid on wrong address leaves 14-year old dead?” Talk about burying the lead.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Are private security guards included here? That’s one hell of a lawsuit this hospital is facing.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm going to say it out loud.

Ever notice how the SWAT teams are all outfitted to the teeth for taking on the little guy, but rarely, if ever engage in a full-throated battle? Not that I ever want to see that. But those folks are basically militarized since 9/11 yet its never needed. When's the last one, WACO?

Oh wait, we've got the "Antifa" "threat" but hey let's let 1/6 go as simply a "walkabout" in the Capitol. Damn sometimes I hate parts of our country.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He was charged with first-degree Walking While Black and will appear in his casket at 4 p.m. tomorrow at McDonald Funeral Home.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Constitution is silent on videotaping police, so that means it's up to the states.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It was crazy to see the "troops" continue to mass in the Uvalde video, until there was about a dozen, two dozen of them, and yet no one was going in.

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted