1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As I said, as soon as the sheriff was alerted about the video he took action and requested an outside investigation.

2. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Couple weird things - 1. where the hell was his backup if he radioed very early. 2. the cop “thought he buckled him in?’’ Wouldn’t it have been really unusual if he hadn’t? 3. The cop had the guy in the car and somehow when the cop started to address the brothers, and the guy got out of the car? I’ve seen someone placed in a police car (way back in the 70s) and once the door was shut it took the person at least a minute or two and about 6 or 8 really hard kicks (he was a big man) to kick the door open while the cop was dealing with someone else. It should still be just as hard to force your way out? Did the cop really not shut the door?
    Finally, i don’t want to go back into the story again because im already here, buy doesn’t the story say he got the guy in the car again, and the guy was still able to get out again? And wouldn’t a lot of this have been avoided if after the cop got him in the car and “buckled in’’ the first time, if he just also got in and drove away? That avoids the man escaping the car at all, and also any interaction with the brothers. (Who could still be dealt with, if necessary, by his “backup’’.
    Lot of questionable things in that story, and i didn’t see the dashcam video attached to the story which might explain a lot of it. I’ll go back and look again.

3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Ok, i found the police cam. I watched up until he first put the guy in the car, and the cop didn’t do anything wrong. He’s trying to get the guy buckled in and the guy isn’t letting him. They struggle for a good amount of time, then the guys brothers show up again. The cop never got him buckled in and also never got the door shut. No problems with any of that.
    Is it normal for the cop to have his back turned on the guy for like 15 minutes? He’s cuffed, but still there’s a lot he could do (and he seemed pretty docile during those 15 minutes, but still). If that guy wanted, he could have bull rushed the cop and blasted him into the car.
    And was that search really necessary? Especially with no backup there? And where the hell is the backup! That cop is out there on a country road (i think my driveway is wider) by himself, he’s already had to deal with the brothers once.
    All in all, i have no problem with the cop without knowing exactly what the guy did to get pulled over.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The cop pulled him over because the guy was driving erratically through town. He didn't pull over until they were on the country road.
    I didn't ever see what agency the backup was from, whether it was local cops or another trooper. If it was another trooper it's not surprising it took them that long to get there. There might only be a couple of them patrolling in that area, and even blowing lights and sirens 15 or 20 miles away is still 15 or 20 miles that you have to cover.
    Watching the video, I thought the trooper did a remarkable job of keeping his cool in a situation that could have ended very badly. The original snippet that made headlines, when he had the suspect down in the ditch the side of the road, was actually a great defensive maneuver to maintain control of the situation. It allowed him to neutralize one potential threat and keep the other in front of him.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

FBI is now investigating the Arkansas incident for possible civil rights violations.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Republicans: “See, this is why we need to defund the FBI!” coming in 3 … 2 … 1 …

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That Metallica playing in the background was Chef’s Kiss.

9. Inky_Wretch

Breaking: Ex-detective admits to misleading judge into authorizing the raid of Breonna Taylor’s apartment.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Interesting angle to the Arkansas incident. The court-appointed lawyer for the beating victim claims she filed a complaint against one of the LEOs in the past month due to another police brutality incident. Also, that same LEO was fired from another PD due to a domestic violence incident.

An enterprising reporter could make a nice name for themselves by investigating the number of small-town cops who have previously been fired with cause from other PDs. I think it's pretty common for somebody to get canned by the metro police and land a job 30 minutes down the road in a rural community.

lakefront and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted