1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They finally got the black guys for killing the black guy.

5. Neutral Corner

6. dixiehack

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Benjamin Crump on TV saying what everyone was thinking in the past few days: Black cops beat and kill a black guy, and they're fired, arrested and charged within days. White cops kill a black suspect, with video evidence, and it takes months.

8. Neutral Corner

It's hard to argue the truth of that, but I would offer two other factors. First, everything I've heard about the body cam footage is that it is heinous and utterly brutal, from the first stop to the time they caught back up to him after he ran, so brutal that even the police union wants no part of defending these guys. Second, Memphis elected a reformer DA after the previous DA, who among other things put a black woman in jail for voting after she had been told by officials that she was cleared to vote. I suspect our Tennessee members can flesh that out further.

I'm not likely to watch that video, but even the Police Chief, a Black woman, says:

"In my 36 years, [...] I would have to say I don't think I've ever been more horrified and disgusted, sad [...] and, to some degree, confused," Davis told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos during an interview Friday on "Good Morning America."

When pressed on why the video left her "confused," the police chief told ABC News that it was "just in the level of aggression and response to what had occurred in this traffic stop and is still very unclear, you know, as to the real reason for the stop in the first place."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF is Memphis doing releasing the video on a Friday evening? Why not Tuesday at 9 am?

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Honest inquiry:
    What's the purpose of even protesting here?
    The guys who did it were immediately fired and jailed. Memphis PD and the city seems to be taking the lead and getting in front of the this.
    A peaceful protest will soon devolve into riots (whether by the locals or outside influences), which will lead to looting, which will lead to the message being turned from the cops killed a guy to "see we told you!"
    Why not have a vigil or even better a fundraiser for the family? That would be far more productive.

11. dixiehack

Giving people a chance to get home from work or school and hunker down would be my guess.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So Memphis is basically a "Purge" sequel this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted