1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

All of the Mississippi Goon Squad members are getting sentenced this week. This one gets 40 years in federal pound me in the ass prison.

And an interesting note: This guy is reportedly the cousin of a man who was sentenced to two life sentences in 2015 for the racially-motivated murder of a black man, in another infamous case.

https://www.wlbt.com/2024/03/20/christian-dedmon-member-goon-squad-sentenced-40-years-prison/

Life sentence in Mississippi hate-crime case | CNN

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Anyone can be gotten to in prison. Anyone.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dahmer was not in gen pop. That didn’t go well for him.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Neither was Bernie Madoff.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh so now I suppose that’s #problematic.

https://www.al.com/news/2024/04/rep...emeaning-attitude-toward-black-residents.html

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's a huge mess. He wasn't chief at the time, but he might have known about it, since he was among the leadership then. The new mayor isn't great either, since he's close to a DINO, and already doing things like encouraging the building of more roads and eliminating bike lanes because a mega church complained.

9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have lately been going down a YouTube rabbit hole of incidents like this. In many cases, what the cops do - kill someone, shoot or taze someone, throw them around and injure them, kill their dog, destroy property - might be justified... if they were at the right address.
    It's almost always the same: "Oh, shit. We're at the wrong address. Sorry we broke your shoulder or shot your dog. Our bad. Have a nice day." Cover body cam. Mumble, mumble, mumble. "Uh, is there something we can charge these people with to make it seem legit?"

There can't be qualified immunity for that. They didn't just pull over the wrong car and let the person go once they realized all was good. They altered people's lives and homes forever.

garrow and matt_garth like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Agreed, to some extent. Sometimes some $15-an-hour dispatcher transposes the numbers or mixes up “street” and “avenue.”

There was a case last year in New Mexico where this happened. Cops pointed to the wrong address to respond to a domestic. Cops show up at the house, guns drawn, repeatedly identified themselves and got no answer. On their last warning, the (white) guy comes out with a pistol and points it at the cops. You know how this story ends. Apparently and coincidentally, someone had robbed his business a few hours before, and he thought the cops weren’t cops and were trying to lure him out and finish the job.

That’s an extreme case, of course, but I’d argue cops deserve qualified immunity there. I’m not anti-cop, but I am empathetic to those who are.

Draft saved Draft deleted