1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wasn't that in a movie?

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

My daughter is singing Beatles songs in the backseat. Super cute, but I’m worried about the flippant nature of her countercultural appropriation.

3. Songbird

"Daddy, I don't want Cocoa Pebbles today -- give me some of whatever John and Paul had!"

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I sincerely have no idea when cultural appreciation becomes appropriation. And how much are past atrocities supposed to factor in? I have a lot of German blood in me, but outside of a love for pork sausage, I'm a bigger fan of Jewish culture. Is that a problem?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've never been convicted of a crime or even arrested, and I even pay my bills and my taxes on time. So I feel like I'm doing OK on the personal responsibility front.
    I'll make you a deal. I have a couple of black neighbors. I won't go into their yard and appropriate their lawnmowers in the name of my white European ancestors' insane, bloodthirsty quest to have a quaint and tidy suburban homestead. Is that fair?

6. Songbird

Sour cream or apple sauce on latkes? Your answer will determine your level of true Jew fan'ness.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is if they ask you not to sing along to rap lyrics, don't call it a lynching.

8. Jake_Taylor

My girls will belt out Back In The USSR. I think I need to apologize to @BTExpress.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You could ask members of the culture involved whenever you aren't sure.

10. Jake_Taylor

I don't know if this is the right answer, but I prefer apple sauce in almost any situation.

Songbird likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Jake_Taylor

In the case of the girl who inspired this thread even that wouldn't have provided a clear answer.

This is why I mostly wear solid color polo shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted