1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why is theUnited States of America the repository of all world guilt? The Spanish, English and Portuguese brought chattel slavery to this hemisphere. It was the Hispanic culture that destroyed pre-Columbian civilization in Central and South America.
    The Egyptians employed forced labor 4500 years ago to build the pyramids
    The rise and fall of the Akkadians and Hittites.
    The rise of the Persian Empire and their domination over half the world.
    Alexander and his war on humanity.
    Roman Occupations of half the World
    Japanese Territorial expansions
    The Moorish colonization of NorthernAfrica and extending into Southern Europe
    The Catholic Crusades
    Centuries of European intermural wars.

American slavery lasted less than 100 years, 1776-1865. Forced labor existed in many part of the world after the 13th Amendment.
    We stopped being a melting pot and started to be a parliamentarian social construct. Lots of narrow groups but a lack of unity.
    The Irish and then the Italians were able to blend their religion and identity into America without changing the American culture to fit their needs. Jews did the same thing. Chinese and Japanese started doing it, Koreans are doing it now. Why were they all successful to large degrees? They adopted to the existing social pact without trying to re-write it. Yes, it eventually evolves to be more inclusive but not seismiclly, but not glacially either.

The current culture has not allowed Hispanics to integrate,but they would have after a generation or 2, except the existing culture was being pushed to alter itself to accommodate Spanish as the sencond tongue of the realm, and that caused pushback.

The African American experience is completely separate because its founded on racism. Pure and simple racism. The belief of black inferiority. And they were forcefully denied the ability to blend and integrate. That is America’s guilt and it too would have faded, more slowly than for any other group, except for the intransigence of under educated, desperate failures of the whites who have been in this country for 150 years without accumulating wealth, trump voters.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wasting calories worrying about the cultural appropriation from a high schooler about a prom dress she bought at a thrift store is a wormhole I will not go down.

Have at it, libs.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Monster.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It doesn’t. Why does having its share of the guilt acknowledged feel like that to you?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This thread hasn’t been about that incident in awhile. It’s just lots of playacting as if people can’t possibly understand how cultural appropriation could ever be a problem?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would be weird if I wrote a novel in the voice of an American chattel slave because I thought it would make a good novel, right? At least I think it would be weird.

So it would also be kind of weird for me to wear, say, traditional African garb, because I think it looks cool.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, get your vocabulary right. It wouldn't be "weird." It would be oppressive, possibly violent.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Baby steps with this crowd.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I had never even heard of the term ‘cultural appropriation’ until a few years ago. Unless you’re willfully being racist or disrespectful, I don’t think it should have a negative connotation. But I’m white and male, so I’m not allowed to have an opinion about this.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Don’t let Professor Clumps rile you.

11. Dick Whitman

You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya mean like William Styron with Nat Turner?

Draft saved Draft deleted