1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This seems like quite a catch-22 then. Because there’s not a lot of workaround that “Long Dong” who has a gong sound when he shows up is probably on the racist side of things. That movie also has that rapey part near the end. They were accepted then, less so now.

Of course, the challenge comes in nuanced discussion. Just accepting something with a shrug and moving on. Accepting that something can be in one breath racist and kind of gross and also be a type of funny (moreso when social standards were different). Our modern discourse tends toward bloodsport. You pick a side, don’t give an inch. And damn is that a hard way to live. Good way to consolidate a base, though.

Batman likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@Alma musta hit a nerve for you to play the ignore me card.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nope, just trying to save the board a little tedium. And myself. Not much point talking to someone who lies about what you said and somehow believes it’s your fault they did.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who in the world is telling you that you shouldn’t watch “Friday”?

5. Dick Whitman

6. Dick Whitman

“Just shut up and listen” is a position that feels woke, but is suboptimal, as the kids say, in practice. Most people, I think, process abstract concepts like this one by dialogue, by talking it through. By asking questions. Even questions that might seem silly at first.

“Shut up and listen” is patronizing, and often, I would guess, has less to do with the advocate’s desire for societal change than it does for the advocate’s desire to pat him or herself on the back.

It can also operate as a kind of cop-out.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As the Chinese saying goes, are we allowed to "embrace the Tiger" as a way to face and conquer our fears and demons?

Or is this filmmaker just CA'ing by using that term?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have a Chinese colleague I despise. I have another Chinese colleague I like very much. The latter doesn’t like the former very much, either. The other day I asked the latter, “What’s the Cantonese word for ‘jackass?’” I know I was in the wrong — blue-eyed devil and all that — but how wrong was my friend when he laughed?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting what a perfect microcosm of the national argument over race and culture this thread is.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

“Let’s have an honest conversation about race.”

“OK”

“Now the only way we can have an ‘honest conversation’ is if you accept all my premises without reservation.”

“Wait ...”

“Sheesh, white people. You can’t have an honest conversation without them getting triggered.”

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This largely illustrates my point. Literally no one is telling you you're an insensitive jerk for ever finding it funny. Times change. Sixteen Candles is wildly racist, and as someone pointed out, rape is also treated as a punchline.

I thought the movie was really funny then. I think it's really racist now. There's no need to be defensive about that.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You can turn that right around, you know.

“Sheesh, brown people. You can’t have an honest conversation without them getting uppity.”

Draft saved Draft deleted