1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We were in Canada over the weekend. While there, we tried to be as nice and polite as possible.

I hope no one thought we were appropriating their culture.

The problem with Canadians is, even if they thought you were, they'd be too nice to say anything about it.

Jake_Taylor and Fly like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s strange to me that you all dismiss the notion of cultural appropriation out of hand. I love Elvis. But Elvis was literally a means of making black culture palatable to white racists. No “ick” factor there? None at all?

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

You were in Detroit AND Canada? And you didn't call? I mean....wow.

5. YankeeFan

Oh, I think there can be legitimate concerns.

But, your example also brings us back to just plain racism.

Radio stations and record labels didn't think they could make money playing black music, and they were probably right. So, they repackaged it, with white performers.

But, Rock & Roll incorporated not just rhythm & blues, but also country, and gospel.

Elvis certainly did.

Was he a appropriating culture, or just a fan, making the music he liked?

Was Sam Phillips guilty?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Elvis wasn’t black, but poor white trash for multiple generations in the south was just a notch above. Bill Clinton was able to overcome that upbringing, but he was younger than Elvis and had more educational opportunities. Elvis didn’t appropriate someone else’s culture. It was his culture too

7. YankeeFan

And Cleveland!

Fly likes this.
  8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. YankeeFan

I wanted to get some time in Buffalo, and make it a real Rust Belt tour, but we decided to come back a day early, because we have family coming to visit tomorrow.

We did stop for dinner in Erie, PA though, so we've got that going for us.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Perhaps the girl in question was not appropriating the culture of Chinese Americans who suffered at the hands of white Americans historically.
    Perhaps she was appropriating the culture of actual indigenous Chinese, who suffered at the hands of (in reverse chronological order) other Chinese, Japanese, white Europeans, Mongolians, Manchus, and other Chinese.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't excuse fans of Elvis or record execs who were straight up racist. But should Elvis have not made "black" music?

Unfortunately we don't live in a magical world where we can just say "OK, everybody. Enough with the prejudice." There is some "ick" factor, as you put it, in the way art and sports steer progress, but maybe it's better than the alternative.

People thought if Elvis is going to make black music, maybe they'd give Chuck Berry a try. And hey, if a black player can win us a championship maybe he's worth it.

It's impossible to really feel comfortable about it all, but there has been progress related to it.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary exercise of privilege.

Draft saved Draft deleted