1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Based on what? This one misleading tweet?

2. YankeeFan

The woman standing fifth from the right looks like she may be Asian, btw.

3. YankeeFan

Does anyone know the racial makeup of the Air Force Officers’ Spouses’ Club?

Would seem to be relevant information.

Big Circus’ link points out that when you look at the officer corp, among all branches, the percentage of minorities drops from 40% to 23%.

But this group represents only one branch — and I would expect the Army has the highest percentage of minorities — and requires a spouse to have actively joined a club to be included in this picture.

Maybe the picture is an accurate representation of the group’s membership, and not evidence of Donald Trump’s racism.

The photo was actually taken at the annual Joint Armed Forces of Washington Luncheon (JAFOWL) on April 24, not the White House. In fact, it only shows members of the Air Force Officers’ Spouses’ Club.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's pretty shitty to try to make money off that movement.

Then again, every tourist shop in Gettysburg, Pa. would have to shut down if we took that to its logical conclusion.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You didn't see that HBO movie "Recount" (about the Bush-Gore election)?

Klain (played by Kevin Spacey) was the star of the movie.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I didn't.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I always make my final worth twice as much as a test, so I mark it out of 200 points. It's great.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh my God.

10. typefitter

11. YankeeFan

The original story has already been proved wrong, but if your going to say there are no non-white women in the photo, then there have to be no non-white women in the photo.

Are there no non-white women in the photo?

12. typefitter

I'm not going to spend one second of my life staring at a photograph of 54 or however many tiny faces, trying to determine whether any one of them may be Asian, because I'm not a fucking psycho.

Fred siegle and John B. Foster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted