1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's weird that you guys think this is something I've "become." Rick Stain's Throne of Judgment is the first meme to pop up around my postings. It's older than RSW

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt the feud, but this is the best opportunity I've ever been presented to say that around 2006-ish, I took a standup comedy class with the actress who played Donna Changstein. Her name was/is Angela. As a huge Seinfeld fan, I was pretty excited when I found out. She was cool.

Also: Donna Changstein liked to work blue.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The possibilities are endless. Would wearing a princess dress be considered cultural appropriation of any monarchy?
    May be late to the party on this, but, kudos to the girl for looking up the cultural info on the dress.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I thought she wore it very well. They don't like it, they can go piss up a rope.

Slacker, heyabbott and CD Boogie like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

From what I understand from when I read some George Lipsitz (mostly due to his work on music) awhile back, there's a pretty clear emphasis that to be anti-essentialism (cultural appropriation) the larger, dominant culture needs to be taking from a minority, historically-wronged culture. Where it seems to get tough is, what constitutes "taking" from a minority culture? I don't think wearing a dress to a prom rises to that level.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Were any guns pointed at her date when he arrived to pick her up?

lakefront likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Check your privilege.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's ok to sing along with one of my favorite country singer/songwriters when he, a white guy from Corpus Christi, covers "El Rancho Grande." Is it worse to do so while drinking a Tecate? What about a Kolsch? What if it's a Shiner Kolsch? What if I had bun ga nuong for dinner?

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’ve been waiting for 30 years for someone to call out wiggers for “cultural appropriation.”

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Offspring did.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of all the crazy stuff on this thread, this is the craziest!

'I'm not taking advice from some girl from Long Island!'

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is awesome

Pete likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted