1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Todd Marinovich, the Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seconded.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Seriously, how did we blow past that little nugget?

Also: Never write a redemption story.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well I'll stand by my post, Boom70 way cooler than P King. Don't know him or King personally, but from here I'll stand by that.
    Didn't realize how long it's been since Boom's been here. Still wish he was back. Wonder what caused the departure. Odd how
    some people leave and some create new names.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It wasn't voluntary. As I recall, he got a permanent ban. Not sure why.

5. typefitter

The single conspiracy theory to which I subscribe: I've never believed that Boom and 21 were a real-life couple.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would love to know. I was in a fantasy baseball league with them for like four years, and I still know nothing. You'll hear whispers that this person or that person knows this or that. Like that they were the same person. But the personas were so consistently carried out, I can't believe that. It would take a Salinger commitment to voice, with zero slip-ups.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

But if they weren't a real-life couple, what the fuck is the point?

"Let's pretend to be a couple on a message board for sports writers. Let's do it for years."

"Deal!"

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I became good "friends" with 21. Lots of talks about our families. She knew all about my family. Stuff about her family.

Sure, it could be a ruse, I guess, but that was a lot of work, literally a decade of catfishing, for zero payoff.

9. typefitter

Except it would be one of the greatest literary achievements of all time. I think I almost want to believe that's the case because it would be so amazing.

I'm not joking.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You think they'd be the first to put bs on this board?

11. Dick Whitman

No. Just the best.

Stoney and Donny in his element like this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe. But it was so light... "how are the kids? Oh, the oldest is going to college now?" Then I don't correspond with her for three years. It would set a record for the most boring catfish ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted