1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was a legitimate question. I'm fine either way, but it would certainly help to know the rule and how it applies to all of us.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not sure if Dungy's point is:

(1) Sam is not an NFL-caliber player.

(2) Dungy disapproves of homosexuality so strongly that dealing with that type of person isn't worth it. or

(3) Dungy himself could care less about it, but wouldn't want the media-related distractions of answering the same non-football related questions day after day. (Same angle people said about Tim Tebow.)

If I were Sam and his team, I would hold a press conference on the first day of training camp and say "I will answer any questions you like today. After today, I will not discuss the issue until the season is complete."

Otherwise, the fag-loving liberal media is going to make that issue the spotlight day after day.

5. joe

joe Active Member

"Fag-loving liberal media" sounds like the title of a song by a white power band. I'd say, "You've outdone yourself," but we all know that would be a lie, Marky.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You're gonna wear that one for a while.

7. outofplace

You think he cares? He is very open in his bigotry, be it real or performance art.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Joe,

If the shoe fits, wear it. It's sad that there seem to be far too many people in media --- even sports media, no less --- who love to take up a cause and crusade for or against it. To some, having an openly gay player signifies something beyond the sport itself or the player himself. It's as though it somehow legitimizes the perversion and we should all stand up and applaud.

I've got no doubt that Sam --- a seventh-round draft pick --- is going to become a household name far more quickly than players picked hundreds of spots ahead of him, regardless of whether Sam makes an NFL roster or not. If/when he does get cut, he'll be front-page news (maybe even beyond the sports page), while others barely merit a line in the agate type.

The good part is that Sam is the one who can put a stop to all this nonsense if he takes the approach "I'm just another football player trying to make an NFL roster" instead of carrying on his own sideshow. Obscurity would be Sam's best friend the next 8 weeks, but we'll see how it all plays out.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For those of you who watch The Simpsons, Boom is Homer Simpson, and OOP is Frank Grimes.

10. outofplace

I'll stay away from high voltage wires.

That said, I'm still right.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So was Grimey.

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

If you've listened to players, Sam isn't the first gay football player. So they've done a pretty damn good job of not letting it go further. And this will be the same so long as the media doesn't force Sam to be a national spokespersons for LGBT. If everyone wants to be treated as normal, then let them act normal and don't single them out as special. If you listen to his reaction today, he's trying to do just that.
    If anyone blows this up, it'll be the media.

Draft saved Draft deleted