1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That is a "God"-approved distraction.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Is it your belief that the 31 head coaches and 31 GMS who chose not to draft Sam, round after round, did so because they don't want a gay man on their team?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. It is my belief that you see things that don't exist in the words people write.

4. MisterCreosote

If they did, they're certainly not dumb enough to say it, twice, and then lie about what they said while hiding behind "God."

I mean, seriously, the media has given him enough chances to walk it back that this is starting to drift into Cliven Bundy, "Let me tell you what I know about The Negro" territory.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Given their way, a lot of coaches would love to play games indoors with no crowd and no media. Distractions, don't you know?

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

It's a straightforward question. I wasn't suggesting or implying anything. Not sure how you inferred that. I'm just curious to read your thoughts.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that a while back that God was actually the distraction
    on The Rockies. It was thought that there were so many God Squaders that
    like Canadians they did not have the will to win. Loses were chalked up to God's
    will. Anyone on the team not a God Squader was made to feel like a real outsider.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I don't believe 62 guys took a pass on Sam because of his sexual orientation. I believe the cost-benefit analysis suggested he wasn't worth the potential headaches.

9. MisterCreosote

Those 62 other guys didn't endlessly crusade for other, despicable people and their potential headaches when it suited them and allowed them to feign moral superiority.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't have a problem with Dungy's choice of words:

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Breaking news: NFL coaches and GMs will take "risks" on players -- animal abusers, wife beaters, drunk drivers -- if they believe those players can help them win games.

It is common knowledge 99.999% of NFL people didn't think Sam could help them win games. If most NFL types thought he could help them win games he would have been drafted much higher.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed Patrick didn't push back on Dungy on that point, then. I know Dungy is his friend, but Patrick usually - from what I've listened to of him - does a little better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted