1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Might be true. He just thinks he's going to burn in hell for his abomination.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think you can be in favor of gay rights, gay marriage and everything and still not go to DEFCON 5 over Dungy's comments.

I think there are a lot of people who are in favor of equal rights who just kind of dismiss Dungy's comments because he's religious. They don't agree with his comments, but they don't think it's a huge deal either.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

If this was corporate America they would protect their employees from sharing.

Football teams should adopt this process.

In your zealousness to get the story you're putting an agenda ahead of the man while using the man. His comments yesterday were classy and dignified. He's trying to focus on winning a job and NOT being a distraction to his teammates. The militi-- I mean, media, or at least some of it, wants to do everything it can for that distraction to happen - and therefore, hurt his chances. Someone earns a stage in life. If you're interested in him having that stage, give him a chance to earn that stage in his workplace. Otherwise, you're just being selfish and agenda-focused. Meanwhile, there's plenty of activists and attorneys around to keep something on your plate.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

And then there are those who were given their jobs via the First Amendment who want to do everything they can to destroy First Amendment rights for others.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Who?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Again: the First Amendment doesn't protect you from your employer firing you for something you said, or getting grief or other repercussions. It means the government can't arrest you for it. So as long as Dungy isn't hauled off to jail by FBI, his First Amendment rights are doing just fine.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Knew it! I was waiting for the first person to bring up the nonsensical First Amendment argument.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Another clueless first amendment post.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did you mean the 13th or 14th Amendments?

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

The first amendment is your ticket to work people. Or did I miss the "freedom of the press" issue? This will soon go political anyway so I'll just say it. It's not tolerance, it's an agenda. The agenda is to hurl dog shit at Dungy until he resigns or is hauled off into a re-education camp to think only like the "tolerant ones." Ignore the hypocrisy all you want.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Michael Sam has achieved tolerance and a stated absence of animosity from his workplace superiors and peers.

That's the dream, man. That's the dream. To be tolerated.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

First Amendment means the government cannot penalize you for what you say. It does not mean others cannot criticize, ridicule or condemn you for what you say.

Draft saved Draft deleted