1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or, maybe there aren't really a whole lot of extra cameras or media there.

Or, maybe the Rams players and coaches are grownups who can handle The Distraction™ of a few extra cameras or media, even if they're there because of The Gay.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is an old story in St. Louis anyway. It has been getting major coverage since February.

It's only going to become The Distraction™ if he makes the team and goes on the road and reporters in the other town want to talk about it, or if an opposing player spouts off.

3. MisterCreosote

I long for the good, old heterosexual days when there were never any cameras or media members around football teams.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and heterosexual husbands could beat their wives with relative impunity

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Every camp is a fucking media circus. Come on.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe the Saints should have taken Sam. ;)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24636001/photo-two-saints-players-stuck-in-room-with-one-bed-at-training-camp

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bookmark. I'm sure this one's a fun read. Will have to catch up later.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The St. Louis coverage isn't what makes it a distraction.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I believe Fisher said there was one extra camera at mini-camp. One.

What a big gay distraction.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Any word on whether it was from a gay news outlet and/or if the cameraman was gay?

Because if he starts drawing gay media, you've exponentially raised the amount of The Gay on campus. That alone could be a major distraction for the very manly football players and coaches.

11. MisterCreosote

Especially since all Gay Media show up to work in assless chaps with techno music playing in the background.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this, and here's what I think Dungy - and others - are probably actually afraid of: Cutting him.

See, I would think that the distraction you're worried about isn't right now, when everyone in camp gets his 15 minutes of fame as the next great thing. It's all happy-happy, joy-joy for a few weeks. So the fact that there's just one more camera in camp doesn't necessarily disprove Dungy's concerns. The alleged distraction arrives when you have to deal with the conflagration that will occur when the SEC Player of the Year1111!!!111 gets the pink slip.

But that's not really a "distraction" so much as it is a coach electing the path of least resistance.

Draft saved Draft deleted