1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They lump them together to discern where your true compassion resides.

Rights for a particular group in which you support, or for everyone. Very often it's the former.

They're curious why it's "normal" to reassign your gender but "perverse" to have two wives. Why it's "normal" to be attracted to both sexes but "perverse" to marry more than one of the opposite sex. Why it's "normal" (albeit not very nice) to cheat on your wife but "perverse" to have sex with two wives who are each fine with the arrangement. They're tired of being called "intolerant" only to find those who call them that can be just as intolerant.

In a world where nothing is wrong anymore, just "alternative," well, you had better be ready to stretch that definition beyond your own comfort zone just as you as demanding that others do.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Well saïd.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. If you can't acknowledge that the polygamy argument is used primarily as a means to attack gay marriage rights, you are blatantly lying or blindingly stupid. It ain't about compassion at all.

Also, your post suggests that I classified polygamy as perverse. I did no such thing. You made that up. Again, at least try to be honest in this discussion.

I question the fairness of applying the same legal protections and tax breaks as a logistical issue, but if polygamy were to become legal, it wouldn't bother me. If it makes it harder for folks like you to try to deny same sex couples their right to marriage, that is absolutely worth the minor questions I have about it.

4. outofplace

As long as you support lying, sure, it's just dandy.

5. outofplace

Since you edited this, I'll respond to the last bit you added. I had already pointed out earlier that while I have some questions about the legality of polygamy, I wouldn't argue the point if it became legal. Might want to read more closely next time.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If YankeeFan married one of his espresso machines, wouldn't that be fraternization?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is being a polygamist a natural, undeniable part of the human condition? Does the shame of being found out cause teenage polygamists to slip into a cycle of shame, depression and suicide? Do high school girls get mocked in the halls with taunts of "sister wife, sister wife, ha ha look at the sister wife!"?

If that is happening, then by all means continue the analogy.

Discrimination isn't defined as "preventing anyone from doing anything he or she wants." Discrimination is looking at a perfectly normal trait of nature and saying "no, we're not going to allow that."

But I can see why BTE would be such a big fan. With so many incomes, a polygamist family would pay that mortgage off in no time. No chance of a 30-year.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Smells more like coffornication.
    Hey, talk about laying some pipe ...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Would be plenty of cream available.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You guys know that polygamy bans are being overturned as unconstitutional too, right?

Still, polygamy is more of a religious-freedom argument than gay marriage is or ever will be. I guess they're similar in that they're both restricted by a government that pretends to have religious freedom for all, but really just wants religious freedom for Christians.

And, there are sound legal arguments against polygamy that flat-out don't exist with gay marriage.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Imagine if Peyton Manning wanted to take both Williams sisters as his second and third wives. We'd be nearing Peak BTExpress.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're talking about "being gay," which is a normal human condition. That's much different than "marriage," which is a contract that people choose to do (or not do, or get dissolved) and is done for a myriad of reasons through a myriad of customs. Some do it for love, others for money, others for convenience, others to prevent shame. Some are arranged by parents. And some, in other countries and for several centuries, have consisted of polygamy --- to those cultures, it's very natural.

One of my former tennis partners said her ex-husband proposed to her the following way: "Our accountant says we need to get married."

I've never known such families, but they seem to trend toward "stay-at-home, take care of the ever-growing brood" based on my very limited knowledge. Interesting thought, though. I've never enjoyed the benefits of even a second household income (let alone a third, a fourth, etc.). :D

He'd have four happy months, then someone would steal them and run the other way with them. More heartbreak. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted