1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

too picky?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 8, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sounds like she applied to be editor at The Daily Podunk and was instead offered a position at East Podunk Weekly, in line with her experience.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's a weekly or not, I would have taken the job if it meant I'd be making $25K.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Point taken, but why is she applying for a job at "a small afternoon daily" where txsportscribe works, if she is "good enough" to work at the DMN? I am just sick of kids coming out of college - and I'm only 26 - and expecting to get jobs at the biggest papers in America. Get use to the fact that if you don't already have a job lined up at one of them, then you won't be working there for a while. So go earn your stripes at mid-size papers and quit bitching.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If she had no intention of working for a weekly, she shouldn't have applied. I'd be scratching my head too at her 'tude.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

In my humble opinion, you're an asshole.

6. JME

JME Member

Well, there are some pretty interesting characters at weeklies. I know of one guy who has been at the same weekly for years and is just incredibly lazy. On the occasion he writes long features or enterprise about non-high school stuff, he just finds quotes on the internet about his topic from a variety of experts and uses them with no attribution or note that he didn't interview them.

And these are high-profile, often famous people he's quoting. I've also noticed him ripping off info from prep stories that there is no way he could have gotten unless he was there or read the story -- and he wasn't there. I don't see the need to call him out, but it is unprofessional to say the least, and I can't believe no one there ever calls him out on it.

Nothing wrong with getting your start at a weekly if you have to, but the people who stay for years are often, um, colorful.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Sad, but hilarious. That shouldn't be funny, yet it is.

8. JME

JME Member

It kind of amuses me up too, actually -- something about eggregious malpractice.

9. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Regardless of whether or not she should have taken the job, I'm wondering if it's wise to thumb your nose at a potential employer? Why not just respectfully decline and quit reinforcing the pretentious stereotype that plagues the rest of us recent grads out there?

Best,

Humble recent grad

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, got to call you out about that. I could rattle off a long list of good people I worked with at a couple of Virginia weeklies who have gone on to bigger and better ... they were there for good reasons given the arc of their careers and their family circumstances and then they moved on.

I think you're bringing a bad attitude to the table. I think the woman in question did, too.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

It was pointed out to me by another poster that not all people at weeklies are hacks, and I shouldn't have made a blanket statement. Just the people I've run into at weeklies aren't the greatest. But come to think of it I do know of two people who came from a weekly that are quality writers/editors. But I still don't blame the girl for turning it down. It's easier to make the jump from a small daily to a larger daily than from a weekly--again in my humble opinion. And yes BYH I am an asshole.

12. House

House Guest

I started out at a small daily from college, but wouldn't have turned down a weekly job.

Writing for weeklies could be viewed as magazine writer-in-training. But I'm an optimist.

Draft saved Draft deleted