1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 12, 2008.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Kinda surprised Ariane (think that's her name) didn't go home tonight after a second straight bad performance. I was thinking the Ostrich Egg chef would get more credit for going out of her comfort zone, especially when Ariane admitted the lemon meringue mousse was something she's done in her restaurant.

Hard to think one of the Euros won't be in the final three this season, they both seem very strong.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How the heck does a Whole Foods have ostrich eggs, but only one kind of crab?

At least Jill tried for the oddball element. That should count for something. But it never does, unless the judges want to dock you for not breaking out of their elements. That lemon pudding martini was pathetic. Seriously, that's the kind of dessert at the end of the line at Luly's.

It's a more likable group than last time.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Is it just me or does Melissa look a little like Mena Suvari after an 18-day coke bender?

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I thought this episode was kinda lame ... plus I was so hopeful for that crab entree. Good dungeness = win. Bad Whole Foods selection = fail. Boo.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you've never read Tom Colicchio's blog, it's just an amazing insight into the mind of a true chef. Here he takes apart the meaning of New American Cuisine and why he was so annoyed by some of last night's offerings:

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/blogs/index.php?blog=tom_colicchio&article=2008/11/time_warp

I would have kept the Ostrich Egg just for the coolness of the egg, but I guess a smart chef doesn't just use weird stuff for the sake of using weird stuff. It had to taste sick. Plus that hot dog sushi looked revolting.

6. kokane_muthashed

I think she was relying on the coolness factor of the Ostrich egg to take her over the top, like "Wow, she cooked with an ostrich egg. How groundbreaking!" What she forgot was she still has to make the dish taste good.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm about 20 minutes behind the show, so I wanted to post here before spoilers (hi tx! :D)

I heart Dave Grohl. So much.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Best. Top. Chef. Line. Ever.

"Tom-the-hottie-gay-bear-icon-Colicchio"

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I'm sad Team Rainbow is down to one person. I liked that guy.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Did anyone else notice they did not show Eugene's soup during the quick fire? Wonder if it was just an editing mistake, or if he, for some reason, did not compete. Also noticed they never said who the bottom three were with the soup.
    This thing is coming down to Fabio or Stefan. Leah is going to have a breakdown at some point, and I bet it's influenced by Hosel (sp?) and her flirtatious attitude towards him and, well, everyone. Though I'd like Eugene to go far, just because of where he started (washing dishes).

11. I didn't notice, but they are kinda letting him fly under the radar a bit. He seems to have a lot of talent and the judges were really impressed by his impromptu-grill last night.

I DID notice, however, that towards the end of the show there was a commercial break, they came back for 30 seconds to show the "fight" between the guy from NYC and the soup girl, and then cut back to commercial. That was weird. Overall a really good episode.

12. kokane_muthashed

Do all European men kiss each other as much as Stefan and Fabio?

Draft saved Draft deleted