1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toughest college programs to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Sep 22, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Penn State's access is notoriously bad, though JoePa finally has started letting freshmen -- well, the good freshmen -- talk to the media.

My favorite Jeff Nelson impersonation reads something like this: "I can't confirm any information for you at this time. And I'm not authorized to release any information. But if any more information is forthcoming, we'll send out a press release with that information."

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've had only limited dealings with K-State's new regime, but in those limited dealings I have found Prince and his SID lackeys to be true pains in the ass.

Thank you.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So basically, Virginia Tech is nice to cover but every other BCS school for the most part sucks. :)

I imagine mid-majors are usually very open and helpful, seeing as how many crave the coverage. At least the one I used to cover was really good. Coach let me call him Sundays (during film sessions), even.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Was he, by chance, ever a state trooper?

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

From the looks of things this season we won't have to worry about Al Groh and his other anal policies much longer.
    It would be funny if the new coach opened up the media policies and the media wrote stories in the spring quoting players about what an ass Groh is.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I did a story on a local yokel who worked as a trainer for the Syracuse national championship hoops team a few years back. It took me a week to get a mug shot photo from the Orange Sports Information department. Should've taken five minutes. I don't know how many e-mails, faxes and letters I had to send them, but it was ridiculous.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Wow, makes me glad I cover major league baseball. Talk about some great access.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty much. It wouldn't even cross the mid-major coach in our area's mind to close practice to anyone.

Basketball is a little different, but not immensely so. I have access to every practice, cell numbers for everyone from coaches to players, etc. I am concerned that I have a new basketball secretary to deal with. Gotta work that pipeline anew.

The one thing the coach I cover is ultra-secretive about is recruiting visits and verbals. Of course, coaches can't say anything on the record, but even off-the-record -- where he is normally effusive (and often entertainingly profane) on every other topic -- he clams up big time. Must have been burned at some point in his career.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those having to cover Fort Shula have my sympathies this week...

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've heard complaints about Syracuse before and I think there's even been a thread. Others have voiced similar concerns.
    But in all my dealings with them, they've ranked as one of the best. I did a big thing on Freeney and had pics in minutes, a phone interview on time, etc. I used to deal with them fairly often and never had a problem.

There are other SID offices out there that I think suck and many will think are great.

I will say this about Syracuse: Sue Edson has always been both pleasant and helpful. She has an assistant (or had, don't know if he's still there) who was an arrogant cocksucker and that's the nicest thing I can say about him. He still always got me what I needed. Just took a different approach than Sue.

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

How Florida hasn't been mentioned on this thread is beyond me.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No SEC people had probably seen it, busy as they are log rolling on the job board.

Draft saved Draft deleted