1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That messaging is not unique to Republicans. Flip the names of the parties around, and you hear the exact same thing from Democrats.

JimmyHoward33 and SixToe like this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But they are right.

Baron Scicluna and Machine Head like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What dixiehack wrote previously. I find it hard to believe Biden’s political team is that inept that it hasn’t seen how the narrative(!!!!!1!!!!) has evolved. But they’ve shown to be bad at handling that. See the documents case and the drip-drip-drip. One of the responsibilities of the president is to be comforter-in-chief. Obama and Clinton had great feels for it. Bush II, less so. Bush I came from a different era. Trump just didn’t give a fuck, in fact the crueler the better.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The GOP looking for more grist to feed the never-ending grievance mill now that balloongate is over.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dude, Biden has grieved with more people probably than any President in our time. The "narrative has evolved" because Republicans have screamed at the top of their lungs a damn lie. The people of this community needed action from the EPA and the EPA has been on scene for two weeks. They had a delay in getting disaster relief because FEMA needs a request from a state governor to step in and the Ohio governor did not request federal aid for some time. Same governor also said a Biden visit would be a "distraction." The Republican party no longer argues in good faith. There's no possible way to "handle" that. Just do the job and hope enough people recognize bullshit that you'll prevail.
    Cold reality: The history of freight train accidents turning into environmental problems verging on catastrophes for those nearby, like the history of our increasingly frequent mass shootings, suggests the political effect of the East Palestine derailment will be nil, one way or the other.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Biden is great at that, which is why a visit there would be good for him.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, some of it probably is.

Azrael likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I feel like the Biden-shouldn't-visit crowd is very insistent about this.

I'm not insistent about it. I think it'd be a nice value add that takes four hours out of a Monday. It's ~200 air miles from East Palestine to D.C. Marine One could make that trip in 90 minutes. Biden's empathy is an asset. Also be prepared for it to go sideways, and if it does get the hell out of there.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one here has said Biden shouldn't visit. As you point out, it would be good for him. Not sure how much good it would do the residents. It's a photo-op.

I've been at pains to point out that there isn't much precedent for a visit - and that the loud insistence on a visit is almost entirely driven by 'Let's Go Brandon' politics.

Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

This is such a stupid argument and it ought to reach the point in the episode where CJ Cregg says he should go because its the right thing to do. Period.

dixiehack and Woody Long like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted