1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did they have coach seating before? I would not want to be on some of those long runs with coach seating.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why exactly would / should the cost be borne by taxpayers? Norfolk Southern certainly has liability here, possibly a great deal of liability. We have a civil law justice system (as well as criminal, if they do things to illegally harm / kill people) that attempts to find just outcomes. ... precisely so that taxpayers don't have to pay for something they had no involvement with.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Some railroads used to use old sleepers as camp cars. Norfolk Southern's most recent series of camp cars was profiled in the video below, which is 15 years old, but indicative of what it was/is like. I'm not sure if NS still uses them or not.

The father of a childhood friend worked MOW for Conrail and Amtrak from the 1970s to the 1990s, and they frequently overnighted in similar camp cars. After seeing this video, I was puzzled at why, after sleeping in those things, my friend's dad actually enjoyed going camping in a camper in the Poconos. Five years of minor league bus travel made me never want to get on a bus ever again.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Liut and wicked like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We've already incurred plenty of government costs. County, state, and federal. For which no one will ever be reimbursed.

Add the cost of the cleanup. The cost of the residential relocation if necessary. If it's a matter of taking the railroad to court, even as a class action, it could take decades for restitution.

The cost across generations of cancer clusters, if any, to be borne in some cases by private insurance; in some cases by that restitution from the railroad (unless it declares bankruptcy); and in many case by Medicare and Medicaid.

Again, we're all on the hook for the hidden costs of Norfolk-Southern running lean.

Woody Long and wicked like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

What did all of that county, state and federal cost do to actually benefit anyone or deal with the situation? That's a nonstarter for me.

The possible cancer clusters are precisely what I was talking about. ... that is where you get into regulatory territory rather than "let Norfolk Southern pay for it" because even if you could assign that cost reasonably, you can never give somebody a healthy life back. Which brings me back to my first post. ... THIS is the question I am concerned with. How dangerous to innocent people is the appaerntly rising transportation of hazardous materials by rail in this country and what cost are we willing to incur to potentially protect people? The first question, then is, are we putting ourselves at risk of cancer clusters (what is hyperbole, what is actual real threat). And all I was saying beyond that is that when proposing forcing behaviors on people (to protect the rights of other people) that have a large financial impact, you need to at least understand the chain reaction you are considering setting off and the possible pecuniary effects that in the case of regulation might hurt all of us on an even greater scale than the protection you think are providing.

Norfolk Southern "running lean" isn't my concern. Either they can run a railroad in a way that makes sense for their owners without bankrupting themselves through negligence or they can't. If they can't, then they shouldn't exist. I shouldn't be making decisions for them about how they try to do it.

Azrael likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Privatize profit.

Socialize loss.

7. The Big Ragu

I am always for people personally reaping the rewards of their behavior and personally incurring the costs.

It's the most moral way of being.

Azrael likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sperry Rail Service operates self-powered track geometry cars to some remote locales, and the cars include living accommodations.

Separately, NS was the railroad a few years ago that got into a literal shitstorm with the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers over its use of trash bags instead of flushing toilets in locomotives. To the surprise of no one the filled bags began showing up on the tracks, along the right of way, and in trees. So NS started numbering the bags, to trace them to specific locomotives. Sooner than later the train crews wiped the floor with the railroad over that issue.

There's an old saying, "The railroad is the only business that after it hires you, spends the rest of your career trying to fire you."

Woody Long and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. goalmouth

It gets worse in northeast Ohio. NS crewman killed in Cleveland when a dump truck hits a train outside a steel mill.

10. Woody Long

Norfolk Southern: Doing Things The Penn Central Way!

Brooklyn Bridge likes this.
  11. goalmouth

No surer sign of the apocalypse than posting about railroad camp cars on a sportswriters board.

12. Woody Long

The thing is, if you got every poster together in a convention hall, we'd have a pretty broad base of knowledge on everything from advanced baseball stats to economics to which railroads forced their locomotive crews to shit in plastic bags. It's a rich tapestry.

maumann, Fred siegle, Slacker and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted