1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Somebody here sounds like a veteran of NJ Transit.

The cars were so disgusting and ill kept at that time I would wear sweats and a grungy coat and just change at school.

Smelled like ass the whole way in, every morning.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Is there a magazine for the yacht clubbers: Progressive Motorboating??

dixiehack likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Try the Degenerate Express from 30th Street Station to Atlantic City, though I still prefer that to having my car in AC if I can avoid it.

Octave likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I like to motorboat. I'm a motorboating sonofabitch.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

dude

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Grew up taking NJT to Penn Station and Septa to Philly. I've seen things no paying passenger should see.

I've also witnessed drunks vomiting on three consecutive nights on Metro North. I feel like I just need a bad LIRR experience to complete the Superfecta.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Great news in options for ex-journos!

Texas woman awarded $557 million in damages for injuries suffered when she was hit by a train.

She was drunk and sitting on the rail at the time of the incident.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

The other Ohio derailment was a 212-car train. If every car is, say 55 feet long, which is probably close to the average freight car length, the train is 2.2 miles long.

And it's being operated by two crewmembers in the locomotive who can't see the middle of the train - much less the back half.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact details because I was a kid, but there was an old dude around town in the '70s with no legs. The story I was told was that him and some buddies went out drinking, and he passed out. His buddies thought it would be a great prank to drape him across the train tracks because he'd probably wake up if one came.

No clue if any of that is true. I do know there was a guy with no legs. How he lost them may have been urban legend.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A guy when I was a kid lost both legs to the knee in a grain auger. Farming is as dangerous as fuck.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted