1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm sure their decision to no show will help cool tempers.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It was at least 45 years ago when a train derailed in a little town I grew up near(ish), and several tankers spilled dioxin.
    After years and years of lawsuits, residents each got enough for a new car. And that was it.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There was a train crash in San Bernardino in 1989 when it lost control coming down Cajon Pass because the weight was miscalculated and the rear locomotive lost its brakes. Two weeks later, during the cleanup, a pipeline burst, causing a massive fire for several hours.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A derailment on the Sacramento River killed all aquatic life for 10 miles downstream. There's a giant guardrail there now.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

From a reply tweet, "Taste the Rainbow."

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That $1,000 is getting them an apartment for a month — if they don't have to pay a security deposit — and a couple weeks of food and gas. Heaven forbid if you're paying for medicines out of pocket.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is a bad one I remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyauwega,_Wisconsin,_derailment

I saw a derailment happen in front of my eyes once, though it was really minor. My son and I were riding the Metro in St. Louis, down in the area where several railroads converge south of downtown and west of the Mississippi River to form a yard.

A switcher was pulling coal cars around and one of them tipped over, dumping coal all over the yard. I'm sure it was a helluva mess to clean up.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The last thing anyone needs is rampant wild speculation. Shame is, the best way to combat that is by providing actual information and not “Nothing to see here” platitudes.

Draft saved Draft deleted