1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you've got the votes at the convention, you change change the rules to whatever you want. Some level of supermajority (don't know the rules, probably 2/3rds or 3/4ths) could vote to amend the rules so that the nominee shall be whomever has the last name that most closely rhymes with "Mubio."

But that isn't really going to happen, it's just something to give reporters something to write about to pass the time. The only way Trump disappears from the ticket is if he drops out. I'll put the odds of that at like 5%. If the big money donors aren't showing up for him, and the polls keep projecting him losing, then suddenly his old trick knee is acting up. And darn it, he'd love to finish and he was just about to make his move and win, but he's gotta put his health first you know.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Because parties are private organizations.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Do they (establishment)really care about winning the White House or are they more worried about what this is doing long-term to the party? I don't pretend to know but I don't see how they can line up for Trump and ever be thought of as serious again.

4. RickStain

After years of crying RINO, they've finally got one. Trump is all over the map and it's hard to pin him down to an ideology, but the overlap between his platform and the party's is the smallest we'll ever see for a presidential candidate.

Honestly, though, I don't think they'd care about that if it wasn't for the fact that he's probably going to lose. They can be associated with a heretic but not a loser. If he gets a September surge and looks to be winning, the ring-kissing line will look like Disneyland on a summer weekend.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's because they can't. All the prominent Republicans lining up to support Trump now are cowards who stand for nothing.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's the nature of the political beast, isn't it? Beat each other up during the campaign, then kiss and make up "for the good of the party." But given Trump's shoot from the hip agenda, it stinks of political opportunism. See also, Paul Ryan.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The fact that Trump is the nominee is a pretty clear indication that no one takes the GOPe seriously now.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which is the same argument some 2A absolutists make about being able to buy firearms.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Politicians are opportunists?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Only the ones you don't like ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The difference is this was correctly framed, by the aforementioned dickless shitbags, as a referendum on the values of the entire party, i.e. "Trump doesn't reflect Republican/conservative values."

They had a chance to prove the Republican Party stood for more than ignorance and unrepentant assholery. When it became clear it did not, it also became clear THEY did not either.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. RickStain

Which is completely internally logical if you believe that owning a gun is a fundamental right. It may be a right guaranteed in the Constitution, but the concept of fundamental rights goes deeper than that, and I wouldn't say gun ownership qualifies in 2016.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.