1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not being pissy here, but I cannot for the life of me find that actual quote (or anything close to it). Only time it seems to pop up, for me at least, is in people mocking the Iraq war.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People say this stuff every cycle - they all think they figured out some flaw in the polling that the polling companies haven't thought of. Everything you say is factored into the sample and into the margin of error. Not that Iowa isn't unpredictable. But that's because it's a caucus format.

Does no one learn anything, ever? Remember 2012, when Republicans believed Peggy Noonan's "vibrations" more than Nate Silver's math?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It wasn't only vibrations. Yard signs too.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Saw someone on twitter say Trump wasn't going to do as well as expected in Iowa because they weren't seeing a lot of lawn signs for him.

Totally thought of Peggy, and Dick's criticism of her.

5. Dick Whitman

Math is hard.

6. Dick Whitman

And, look, I used to be on Team Peggy Noonan. In 2008, I went on and on here about how Sarah Palin was going to turn the swing states. My wife's sorority sisters love her! She's folksy! Posters like Zeke12 killed me for it. And they should have.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The initial response to Palin was great. Too bad the election wasn't the next day.

As people got to know her, she became a liability.

8. Dick Whitman

To the revisionist narrative that she was never treated fairly by the lamestream media, I always point out the NYT headline the morning after her RNC speech: "A Star Is Born."

It was the Couric interview that destroyed her and, to a lesser degree, the Gibson interview.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

With the unwritten subhead "This Fucking Gal" ...

10. Dick Whitman

I know I will never convince you that she was treated fairly, but the Daily Kos is not the NYT. She's a first-class idiot, and was covered accordingly.

SnarkShark and cranberry like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just one more variable to throw in the pot.

Looks like it should be ok during actual caucus hours, but you wonder how many people are going to have to spend time on storm prep instead.

12. Dick Whitman

Indeed, the "weather will change everything" storyline. These stories are written like clockwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.