1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sounds like they just don't think that Hill can win.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, he is injecting himself into local issues. Whether you agree with doing it is a separate issue, but he's definitely doing it.

old_tony likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Should have added this initially ... institutional/systemic racial issues are most decidedly NOT a local issue.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you are not a fan of Ezra Klein?

Batman likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So nice, he posted thrice! LOL

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Blech. Bayh's time (and that of his East Coast analogue, Mark Warner) has passed. This is the age of Trump and Bernie. Nobody wants the concilatory, centrist dog food that Bayh is selling. Even the Clintons are running away from the New Democrat legacy.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Here's how:

People sometimes make personal decisions and choices -- ones that don't always fully align with black-and-white political beliefs. (Which says something about how maybe political beliefs can't, and should not always be, black and white, of course. But that's another post/thread).

For example, I'm a Democrat by political affiliation -- for the most part. And that is key. Just as in BTE's re-worked example, a person may be Republican, and yet, if not exactly OK with it, still able to live with, participating in wars and supporting the rights of gun ownership and use, no matter what.

But, if I were, say, trying to make a decision about whether to have an abortion, I would, in that instance, become more Christian than Democrat, and probably not do it. (And, I suspect, this is how it is for most Democrats). With regard to war, I personally would say/think that it would depend on the circumstances. I do think that there are some values/issues worth dying for and protecting, even with our lives, if needed. So, in that instance, I might suddenly become more political, and even, Republican, than I am Christian, or even Democrat.

Someone else might make different decisions/choices in such instances. There is a difference between the personal and the political, and often, that difference won't truly manifest itself until someone is impacted directly instead of just influenced intellectually.

That's a large part of the problem with politics, and our political threads, actually, and why we have so many problems on them. The personal/political conflict seems to make compromise impossible, or, if not impossible, then at least unlikely, because appearances matter to us, sometimes more than anything.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even less of a fan of the board server, which has apparently melted in the summer heat. Did Jeff get put in the hospital by a bottle rocket or something?

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Black-and-white politics you say? Where? LOL. Even better that o_t liked this post.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Excellent post BTW.

old_tony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.