1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

We heard the same logic during the 2000 election in support of GWB. "Sure, he drove that speeding school bus straight into a brick wall, but he did it without blinking. You gotta respect that!"

The world is way too complicated -- especially right now -- to prioritize decisiveness over prudence.

And considering how many times Trump has changed his mind on various issues, he's not exactly the poster boy for standing by his convictions.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

On top of that, he was anti-LGBT in a way that divided the GOP in Indiana. Had a real, negative economic impact here.

He also basically gave away millions in federal preschool funds for political appearances, then recently reversed his position and took the cash, again for political appearances. That was because he was locked in a tight governor's race with a Democrat who has the charisma of a doorknob and the resume to match.

But sure, White House material, I guess.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe he really will leave Pence at the alter.

Pence doesn't get the Kochs off the sidelines, but picking Newt probably does open Sheldon Adelson's wallet.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wrong as usual, JH, if you think that is what I was talking about.

5. YankeeFan

So, was there some member of Congress, a mayor, or a former Republican elected official you hoped would have run, because depending on what you heard from them, they had a chance at competing for your vote?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I believe Romney was Adelson's horse. He was propping up Newt financially in order to clear the field and Newtralize Santorum.

7. YankeeFan

Amtrak corridor liberals clearly spent some time googling Dana White. I'm not sure they read the Wikipedia entry very closely.

8. YankeeFan

Canadian national security reporter wishes we weren't talking about terror again. Wishes footage of the attack wasn't available for viewing.

9. YankeeFan

I'd rather be leading, but Hillary's essentially running as an incumbent, and is well known by 100% of the electorate, and can't crack 45% in a race against Donald Trump.

Why can't she close the deal?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, the head of the FBI stood up for two hours and talked about how she royally fucked up a matter of national security. Start there.

11. YankeeFan

Well, sure.

I guess I'm more curious why some are mocking Trump's numbers. Yeah, 37% right now, if your opponent is at 59%, is a disaster.

If your opponent is at 44%, you're in a winnable race.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not mocking his numbers. I noted more than a week ago that he was creeping up on her. I was mocked, here and elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.