1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess one question in the political game - and I know that YF is going to respond with an absolutist position, which is fine - is what the rules of the game are understood to be. In the Patrick-Obama case, they were basically using the same speech writer, right? Or at least overlord, in Axelrod? It'd be like Smokey Robinson writing the same lines for the Supremes and the Jackson 5. In the Donald Jr. case, it seems like they asked a friend/fellow traveler if they could use some of his material they liked. In the Melania case, of course, there was no permission sought, no commonality. They lifted it straight from an opponent's speech on the same stage.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"There's Buckingham Palace, kids. That's where the Queen lives and works."

"Works? What does she do, Dad?"

"She queens."

Lugnuts, HanSenSE, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think this is basically true.

But, if you look at the Obama speech, there's no evidence that he was even aware that Patrick had used the lines two years earlier.

The whole, "Patrick suggested the lines to him," only came out afterwards, and is so silly when you look to the obvious way those lines ended up in his speech. As you point out, they shared the same message guy. Axelrod put the lines in both speeches.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The GOP is no longer a party about personal responsibility so much as it is about relentless banter. Steve King is a perfect example. Instead of just shutting the hell up, he rarely turns down a chance to make his argument as extreme and unpleasant as possible, almost like a personal challenge to logic. Palin, little more than a skilled smart mouth, is the same. They stubbornly refuse to consider the possibility that their words suck and they're talking out of their asses.

It is similar with some conservative friends who have become almost religious in their commitment to mouth running and extremism - not out of some embrace of policy, but as a "oh yeah, well" style of argumentation. It's the conservative media that's done it to them, and it's a shame.

It's started on the other side with Sanders.

5. YankeeFan

That is so spot on it's incredible.

Donald is running to be a figurehead I think. An agenda setter, maybe, but mostly America's top salesperson and cheerleader.

Who he hires to actually run things is the big question.

Will Pense be the guy?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Pense is not there mann.

Stoney likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

It's "ce" isn't it?

I paused before hitting "post reply", but then just went with it.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice work, Geraldo.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He'll definitely be the chief Culture Warrior.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good grief, that's damned scary.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Agree. It's going to help him with the female vote.
    He plagiarized Pontius Pilate as told by Matthew
    "What will ye then that I shall do unto her whom ye call the future POTUS?"

"Which one do you want me to release to you--Hillary, or Barack who is called the Messiah?"

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Whoever was the first politician to declare "This election is the most important of our lifetime!" has one hell of a plagiarism case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.