1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Krugman zeroed in on it today:

Seriously, Republican political strategy has been exploiting racial antagonism, getting working-class whites to despise government because it dares to help Those People, for almost half a century. So it’s amazing to see the party’s elite utterly astonished by the success of a candidate who is just saying outright what they have consistently tried to convey with dog whistles.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Love the "Making America Safer" banner under Bill Clinton as he signs the bill that would lock up millions of Africa-American youth.

But, let's act like Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan is the most vapid thing a politician has ever come up with.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has Trump even talked about welfare? What's Krugman talking about?

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

The slogan isn't vapid. The problem is the lack of substance. (I take it that you disagree. It seems that you're coming around on Trump.)

5. YankeeFan

Oh no. It's vapid. It lacks substance.

And, it's no different than "Hope and Change", "Bridge to the 21st Century", or "Making America Safer".

It's what politicians do. (And Clinton sent millions of African-American youth to jail to validate his vapid slogan, which makes it a little worse.)

I wouldn't say I'm coming around to Trump, but if he's the nominee, I'm voting for him without hesitation.

I'd take President Rubio or President Cruz over President Trump, but I'm not sure that's going to be the choice.

And, as the campaign goes on, I do find myself fighting the urge to take perverse pleasure in seeing Trump prove so many pundits wrong. It's glorious to see, but, the end result might not be so glorious.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That the GOP has cultivated a party of white working class racists and deluded itself into thinking any of these folks actually give a crap about the other stuff the party elite really wants them to support.

Here’s an example: Last summer, back when Mr. Trump was just beginning his rise, he promised not to cut Social Security, and insiders likeWilliam Kristol gleefully declared that he was “willing to lose the primary to win the general.” In reality, however, Republican voters don’t at all share the elite’s enthusiasm for entitlement cuts — remember, George W. Bush’s attempt to privatize Social Security ran aground in the face of disapproval from Republicans as well as Democrats.

Yet the Republican establishment still seems unable to understand that hardly any of its own voters, let alone the voters it would need to win in the general election, are committed to free-market, small-government ideology. Indeed, although Marco Rubio — the establishment’s last hope — has finally started to go after the front-runner, so far his attack seems to rest almost entirely on questioning the coiffed one’s ideological purity. Why does he imagine that voters care?

Oh, and the G.O.P. establishment was also sure that Mr. Trump would pay a heavy price for asserting that we were misled into Iraq — evidently unaware just how widespread that (correct) belief is among Americans of all political persuasions.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think YF's covert joy in seeing Trump upset the standard political applecart speaks to why Trump is where he is in the first place.

8. Dick Whitman

But you agree with mass incarceration.

9. YankeeFan

Which candidate for president said this about African-American youth who have "no conscience, no empathy":

We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.

C'mon Dick, she came closer to calling them niggers than Donald Trump ever has, and she wanted to bring "them" to heel.

She was speaking in support of her husband's crime bill, which created the school to prison pipeline, and now she tries to disassociate herself from it.

Bring them to fucking heel.

But, the liberals here will go on about how they would never vote for a racist candidate, while crawling over broken glass to vote for Hillary Clinton, who has always been willing to say or do anything to advance her and her husband's political career.

10. YankeeFan

It's a charge that's hard to deny.

The GOP has over promised, and under delivered since 1994.

The Republican establishments failures did create the opening for Trump to run and win.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How is the Clinton's being responsible for the incarceration of black drug dealing youth not celebrated more by the Law and Order right?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Are we SURE about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.