1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am smiling imagining the reaction if Hillary refused to release her returns because the IRS was auditing her. I'm sure YF would be equally deferential.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. So true.

When I worked at a big company, I tried to never run anything by legal. They'd always tell you not to do it.

I'm a big believer in asking for forgiveness, as opposed to permission.

3. Dick Whitman

And this attitude keeps our litigation department in business.

Ace likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lovie Smith is your client?

5. YankeeFan

Nah. I'd be all over her for it.

But, it's not like Trump hasn't given a reason, or the IRS hasn't confirmed that he's been under audit since 2002. I think we agree that we should be clear about that.

6. Dick Whitman

The problem is that you tell someone they are on the right side of the law, then they get sued or investigated anyway, and you're the asshole.

"It's OK if that soap dispenser is 56 inches off the floor instead of 54, as prescribed by the ADA. They'll still find you compliant."

Next thing you know, the DOJ is hauling them into court.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never did I expect to see the day when a 14-plus-year tax audit was cited in a presidential nominee's favor.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Too many stripes, not enough stars.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They (the IRS) has also said that being under audit has no bearing on whether Trump can release the returns. He's just using it as an excuse to not release them.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'll worry about Trump's taxes eight years after Obama's college transcripts are released.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Where did the IRS confirm it? Not his tax folks, but the IRS itself. This is all I've found in regards to IRS comments on his claims ...

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said Friday that it would be unlikely for a taxpayer to be audited for multiple years in a row, a day after Donald Trump maintained the agency had audited him a dozen years running.
    Koskinen, in an interview with C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers,” stressed repeatedly that he couldn’t comment directly on Trump’s personal tax situation. But the IRS chief also strongly suggested that the scenario Trump laid out in Thursday’s GOP debate was improbable.

IRS chief: 'Rare' for taxpayer to be audited several years in a row, as Trump claims

12. YankeeFan

Sure. They're not preventing him from releasing his returns. That has nothing to do with whether or not he should.

That be'd like a prosecutor stating that they're not preventing a defendant from testifying on his own behalf at trial. No shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.