1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Please list the specific executive orders where you fee the president has use dictator-like powers to subvert the Constitution.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Damn it!

DD made this same point a couple of days ago, and I meant to reply.

He does it again, and before i can jump on it, Rick and docq have beaten me to it.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Didn't the Supreme Court block his order on immigration?

Either way, that one is a hell of a lot more expansion-of-power-y than the one he issued giving federal employees a holiday on Christmas Eve.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Congress: You don't consult us ever and circumvent us to further your job killing policies!

Obama: Um wasn't it you who said you'd work to make me a one term president?

Congress: You are talking down to us! You want to kill jobs!

Obama: OK. What policy changes do you want?

Congress: KILL OBAMACARE!

Obama: Not that. The American people like having health care.

Obama: Guys we've been over this.

Obama: Sorry, I won the election. That's not going to happen. What else?

Congress: Stop the debt accumulation or we'll let the debt ceiling expire!

Obama: Fine. I'll just issue a couple of executive orders.

Congress: HE'S A DICTATOR! SEE HE DOESN'T CONSULT CONGRESS!

Obama: *facepalm*

dixiehack and Double Down like this.
  5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

# of terrorist killed by drone strike would be a good metric to look at

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I haven't made that argument.

I think, like all Presidents before him, Obama has sought as many additional powers as possible, and this particular Congress, has given into him on a number of occasions, because they didn't want to take a vote on a contentious issue, and were happy to have the President make a decision, hoping they could hang him out to dry on it.

But, your argument just isn't a good one to counter the claim you think is being made against him.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No. It was a declarative statement/request.

Blaming the Secty of State for a murder by Libyans at the US Embassy in Libya is not the same. If you are drawing that comparison, I don't think you're being honest with yourself.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So nice of you to oblige.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You cannot have it both ways, if he authorizes the drone strike "he's expanding his powers!!" Burn him at the stake, impeach him!!

If he didn't, you'd be railing on him for "being soft on the terrorists, YOU HAD HIM RIGHT THERE FOR THE KILLING AND YOU WERE TOO SOFT TO PULL THE TRIGGER!!"

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

No Due Process concerns for American Citizens?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The immigration one. The funding of facets of Obamacare when there wasn't an appropriation.

But what does it matter? The specific point is that the number of executive orders is a stupid metric proffered by people making a stupid argument.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There is little way to win the Obama is "competent even when I disagreed/the worst, most crooked human being on the planet" argument with some conservatives, who have been exhorted, on a daily basis, to believe the latter regardless of facts or logic and have been looked down upon by certain smug liberals.

This election has treated us to the wonderful honor of Bernie Sanders supporters, who are worse and even more ill-informed, preferring unicorn politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.