1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why can't Hillary Clinton stop lying?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Appeaser!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two things, as I try to wrap my head around the nonsense in that ...

1) In trying to make sense of that, it sounds like he's trying to explain Putin's logic. Not necessarily that he agrees or disagrees with the term. For a guy whose campaign slogan is "Make America great again," if he's saying the phrase "American exceptionalism" is a bad concept, that will do more to lose him the election than almost any other misstep he could make. He could call Hillary a lying bitchwhore c**t during a debate and not step in it worse than if he goes back on his campaign slogan -- not to mention a phrase that's been a mantra of the conservative right for almost a decade. So I'll give him some leeway in that he was explaining the mindset of Putin, not that the idea of American exceptionalism is a bad thing.
    I also hope the follow-up question was, "So do you agree with the idea of American exceptionalism?"

2) American exceptionalism is a conservative idea. Other than, maybe, during his DNC speech last week, when has Obama ever uttered those words in a positive sense or as an ideal to strive for? Was Trump talking about Bush when he said that?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is what I'll say about this: She seems utterly convinced that her version of what happened is the actual truth. Which I think is false, although I did not read the entire FBI report. I suppose after years of people lying about her positions/actions, she is reflexively defensive about them, and so she's come to believe her version of the truth is always the truth. Which, yes, is what makes her ethically troubled and problematic.

Also also say this: It's remarkable how often Trump creates more of his own problems by giving interviews to Stephanopoulos, Cooper, Tapper, etc. If I were running the Trump campaign, I'd tell him: You will not do another one-on-one (other than maybe Hannity or Kelly Rippa) until election day. It seems to be what Hillary is doing, and yes I see why that's infuriating to your side. Because she makes stupid mistakes. And yes, she should hold a press conference.

Trumps ego won't allow him to stop giving interviews though. It's like oxygen. It's scary and fascinating. Literally every time I've been away from the Internet for a few hours, I open Twitter and I think "Ok, just scroll down a few hours to see what crazy shit Trump said this time."

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The funny part is that you seem to believe Ron Fournier has a shred of credibility in covering presidential politics.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That quote DD posted is from 2013.

Here's a more recent one, from April 2015, that makes absolutely clear that Trump, himself, believes America is not exceptional:

“I don’t like the term. I’ll be honest with you. People say, ‘Oh he’s not patriotic.’ Look, if I’m a Russian, or I’m a German, or I’m a person we do business with, why, you know, I don’t think it’s a very nice term. We’re exceptional; you’re not. First of all, Germany is eating our lunch. So they say, ‘Why are you exceptional? We’re doing a lot better than you.’ I never liked the term.

“And perhaps that’s because I don’t have a very big ego and I don’t need terms like that. Honestly. When you’re doing business — I watch Obama every once in a while saying ‘American exceptionalism,’ it’s [Trump makes a face]. I don’t like the term. Because we’re dealing — first of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we’ve given them. We’ve given them so much. On top of taking it back, I don’t want to say, ‘We’re exceptional. we’re more exceptional.’ Because essentially we’re saying, ‘We’re more outstanding than you. By the way, you’ve been eating our lunch for the last 20 years, but we’re more exceptional than you.’ I don’t like the term. I never liked it.

“When I see these politicians get up [and say], ‘the American exceptionalism’ — we’re dying. We owe 18 trillion in debt. I’d like to make us exceptional. And I’d like to talk later instead of now. Does that make any sense? Because I think you’re insulting the world. And you, know, if you’re German, or you’re from Japan, or you’re from China, you don’t want to have people saying that. I never liked the expression. And I see a lot of good patriots get up and talk about Amer — you can think it, but I don’t think we should say it. We may have a chance to say it in the not-too-distant future. But even then, I wouldn’t say it because when I take back the jobs, and when I take back all that money and we get all our stuff, I’m not going to rub it in. Let’s not rub it in. Let’s not rub it in. But I never liked that term.”

Donald Trump’s revealing quote about ‘American exceptionalism’

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the most pathetic GOP jawflapping shills going, and that's saying a lot.

10. Inky_Wretch

11. Inky_Wretch

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Tony does not disappoint.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.