1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... sounds like someone else I know of.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Paul Ryan is part of the problem, which is, the GOP needs new (some would say any) leaders.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone would know about not being qualified for the office, it's Obama.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Honest question: Is there a person you'd like to see in leadership, in or outside politics?

Sasse? Lee? Ernst?

Ryan Zinke follows me on Twitter. He played football at Oregon. A Marine. I don't dislike him, though I dislike some of his positions. Maybe we could talk him into running for the minority whip or something.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Paul Ryan is part of the problem/leadership void, it's going to be a long long road until they find a solution. The guy is 46 years old and the favorite of most/all of the party's biggest donors.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, if anyone has four more years of butthurt coming, it's you.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Ted Nugent? JK.

What's J.C. Watts doing these days?

Seriously, who knows? The problem is that the outsider element of the GOP is not big enough to bring the party together but it's big enough to keep the familiar faces from consolidating more power. The latter is important, but when it comes at the expense of the former, the party is just stuck in neutral. The Dem factions know their place.

I wish the GOP would find someone who could eloquently lay out a position that speaks to strong defense and traditional conservative economic policy while acknowledging that the social sands have shifted and there are a lot of potential Republican voters who would be interested in moving forward with such a platform. Of course, that might take a couple of generations, and then it might go in the opposite direction.

Big Circus, HanSenSE and Double Down like this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Maybe he won't be so scared of a woman president. :)

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's certainly been a while since a two-term outgoing president was so active in an election, if ever.

Bush II was extremely unpopular and practically disappeared for his final two years. Clinton was popular, but Gore kept him at arm's length, to his later regret. And we know Reagan's fate, although most of his apparatus went over to Poppy. Before that you have to go all the way back to Ike and Nixon, and I don't think Ike was too arsed to go all-in on Tricky Dick.

10. Dick Whitman

I guess the non-conservative Republican running against Ryan balances out the non-Democrat running against Feingold in that primary.

11. Dick Whitman

Why wasn't Regan involved in Bush I's campaign?

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Alzheimer's had a pretty good hold on him by then. Still functional and had his wits, but physically limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.