1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But, wouldn't some donors who wouldn't give to Trump be enticed to throw their Tubmans at the new nominee?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

1. Dude

2. She'd still get 40 percent of the vote

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd say it was higher when he rode in as the savior to the Speaker of the House dilemma, with the "aw gee I don't want the job, but if you REALLY need me to be a great American ..."

But he hasn't had a great however many months in attempts to unify the party. I don't know if that can be done, though.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah they would but they'd have a month to come up with the cash and ground game Clinton has accumulated since she entered the race.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure some people understand how ass-kissing and baby kissing it takes to set up a presidential campaign two years in advance. There is a reason it's so gross and we're in a perpetual cycle of campaigning is because you need to go to all kinds of prayer breakfasts and union meetings and install your GOTV operation like a year in advance. People in Ohio who have been working for Trump for months aren't going suddenly to bust their ass for Paul Ryan, especially since it will be seen like Ryan is one of the guys who took him down.

I think the only realistic "out" would be for Trump to fake a heart attack and have Pence take his place. Have Christie be Pence's running mate. No one knows much about Pence, but it would mean Trump's supporters could stomach the change. In theory.

6. Double Down

OMG, this is great.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Agreed. Dems should be praying to whichever diety they believe in that Trump doesn't get shot. An incapacitated Trump, be it "illness" or other, means the GOP gets a real candidate for a legit reason and a story that unites the party. Trump dropping out will have the opposite effect.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I hear more than anything else, it is potential voters saying, "I really don't want to vote for X, but Y is so terrible ..."

So wouldn't it follow that if Trump were to just blow away and be replaced by someone ... pretty much ANYONE else ... a lot of the voters who are saying "anyone but Trump" would move toward "anyone but Hillary"?

Folks, Clinton's approval rating is pretty shaky too.

Lugnuts and old_tony like this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh ... Hello? Hello?

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If Ryan gets primaried, the election is rigged.

11. Double Down

Anecdotally, the people who say things like "Ugh, anyone but these two" in general aren't that enthusiastic to vote in the first place. In general, liberals are fine with Hillary. That's why she won the nomination. By a bigger margin than Obama beat her, in fact. The Sanders stuff made for great media, but in the end, 90 percent of them will vote for her.

There isn't enough voters in the "anyone but these two" category to swing an election to NotTrump, especially if a huge chunk of his hard core supporters revolted. People who say "Anyone but these two" and "they are basically the same" are not going to drive turnout.

Elections are about mobilizing your supporters, first and foremost. If you can get your 40 percent to go to the polls, and the other party can't, you're going to win 98/100 of those elections.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Good answer. That makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.