1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Got to love people who use their disability and unemployment checks from the government to get those tats.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There's a guy in my neighborhood who has this sticker on his truck. What does it mean? /TooLazyToGoogle

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I thought I saw the same thing. Classic.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Marist state polls:

Clinton +11 in PA, +5 in Ohio, +4 in Iowa.

What is the record for drop off in EV between winning and losing your reelection bid? Because I can start to see Clinton clearing 400 here and losing in 2020.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It'd have to be Hoover. Won in 1928 with well over 400 EVs. Lost in 1932 with less than 100.

Lugnuts and RickStain like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

About that GOP future ...

All Paul Ryan’s Enemies

Though a yawning gap now separates Republicans who see Donald Trump as the salvation of the GOP from those who believe he embodies its destruction, on one thing both sides agree: Mr. Ryan is a traitor.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The best part is he knew that would happen if he became speaker and still stepped into it.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In moving on to looking at the 2020 campaign, we're assuming the GOP will return to some kind of functioning unit. I don't see how that's the case. If they follow the recommendations from 2012, they lose the religious and the immigration hard-liners. If they re-establish "conservative principles" behind Cruz and the Tea Party, they lose even more.

Lugnuts and cranberry like this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Come and get it," basically. Goes back to, I believe, the battle of Thermopylae?

TigerVols likes this.
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, the GOP is just a loose coalition of disparate interest groups. The angry white people broke away this year.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There needs to be a "Come to Jesus Moment" (pun mildly intended) for the GOP if it gets shellacked this year and wants to compete in 2020. They are probably going to have to take a page from the Democrats and implement a super delegate system to prevent a candidate they can't stomach like Trump from winning the nomination. Then they need to admit they want to go after the center and independents and forget this hard right stuff. That will probably cause a major rift and there will likely be some pain in primaries. But the GOP can win Hispanic votes if they ease up on some of the immigration talk and stop being so scared of those who come from south of the border. Hispanics are very religious and have strong family values and may well vote Republican if the party's platform didn't push them away. There is a coalition of Democratic voters that can be broken off if Republicans actually tried to give a damn about more than just the White Christian Male voting bloc.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that there was a time when the two parties weren't aligned on an ideological spectrum. You had a huge bloc of conservative Southern Democrats and a huge bloc of liberal Northeastern Republicans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.