1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Battle axe is (I'm sure unconscious on the part of Matador) classic sexist language when describing an older woman in a position of power. Hillary Clinton has been one of the most powerful women in our society for almost 25 years now, so it's no surprise she's "unlikeable" to many men. That's on them. I have no idea what she's like. We haven't met. She might be horrible, or terrific, or both from time to time as most people are. But Donald Trump has been in the public eye longer than Clinton, and there's no question he's an asshole. Anyone who'd finf him more likeable than Clinton has problems with women in authority, period.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No misogynism in this post. Nope. None.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wave any flag you like, Dick. It still doesn't make her likable.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

If she were likable maybe she doesn't get shoved aside in 2008 for a guy who was an Illinois senator for about six hours.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

No, if she had opposed the Iraq War rather than voting for it she'd be finishing up her second term about now and we'd be discussing Vice President Obama's chances to get elected.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Right. I remember all of that Iraq vote talk dominating the news in 2008 when the economy was shitting like a newborn, jobs were being shed, gas prices were going up and there were bailouts for banks and the auto industry being bantered about.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

None of that happened during the primary season.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

The Iraq War was the issue during Democratic primary season that differentiated Clinton and Obama, who otherwise didn't have any policy differences worth noting.Without that difference, Clinton beats him easily.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Hillary lost in 2008 because Obama was a charismatic juggernaut and she paled in comparison. Obama was and is a much, much more likable person.

I mean, we're not making this shit up. Almost every one of the hundreds of polls taken during this election cycle have her unfavorability ratings above 50 percent, and her likability somewhere between 35-45 percent. According to this, Hillary Clinton Favorable Rating - Polls - HuffPost Pollster, since the summer, there have been just four (4) polls in which her likability eclipsed her unlikability.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right, but the question is why.

This is the starkest example ever of the bromide that a man is assertive while a woman who acts the same way is a big old beeyotch.

To the specific discussion, raise your hand if you have ever in your life heard a man referred to as a "battle axe."

Double Down and cranberry like this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is my position, as well.

I don't/won't like voting for either candidate. I actually would prefer to have either Rubio or even Kasich as options, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

All I know is that I've determined, definitely, that I won't be voting for Trump.

And, well, that (most likely) leaves Hillary.

That said, I wouldn't vote for either candidate based on likeability. I don't need to like them. I probably will never meet them and I don't kid myself that I know them, or ever will know them.

I just need somebody who can accomplish something while they're in the White House. Unfortunately, that almost doesn't even depend on who is the president. So we'll see what happens.

This is all why this election is rather scary. (And haven't we all kind of been thinking exactly that)? There will be no truly good options that people feel like they can really trust and back unequivocally.

Nevertheless, I will not cop out and refuse/fail to vote at all.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  12. Michael_ Gee

The polls are facts. We're trying to get at what creates those facts. Since Clinton has been a primary Republican hate target since 1992, it's understandable the roughly 45 percent of voters who're customary Republicans don't like her -- she's the enemy. What's with the other folks? "There's just something about her" pretty much seems to translate "she's a woman with power."
    Actually, there's a fascinating contrast between Clinton's poll numbers as Secretary of State, when she was the most favorably viewed member of Obama's administration by a wide margin, and their rapid drop the minute she began running for President. Her personality didn't get more or less likeable in the past three years. So I don't think it's that at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.