1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charlie has always spoken respectfully of Presidents, so I can see why he, most especially, would be offended by Trump's campaign.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Dow has done nothing but tread water for the last 18 months, and it's only being propped up by the fed and its dangerous fiscal policies. That is not a sign of a robust economy.

3. old_tony

The economy under the last president was doing very well -- despite the setback of 9/11 and its effect on the airline industry -- until the housing bubble crapped on everything. And as has been discussed more than once before, the housing bubble was a product of Clinton's CRA and Democrats refusing to address Fannie and Freddie.

Bush inherited a recession from Clinton, then had to deal with 9/11's crippling effect on the economy and still had four years of growth higher than any year of growth under Obama.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Eh, it all boils down to which candidate is the awesomest or the worst. When someone saves the world here, we should sticky that post.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That is a bunch of talk-radio malarkey.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or facebook memes.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Betting line update. Due to a surge in postings, controversy and circle jerks - I am now thinking this thread crosses 2000 pages by about 8:30 PM, 13 AUG 2016.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Tony, if we propped your eyes open, Clockwork Orange style, and made you watch The Big Short, would it even register a little?

Hokie_pokie and Stoney like this.
  9. old_tony

Because you say so? Hundreds of actual economists disagree with you.

I could post hundreds of similar articles, but here's one to start.

What Caused the Housing Bubble? | RealClearPolitics

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think you need to take a long look at Phil Gramm's legacy of deregulation when you assign the blame for the housing bubble and derivatives being allowed to run wild. Clinton signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act, yes, but Gramm was the chair of the Senate Banking Committee and had a lot to do with making that sausage. The repeal of Glass-Stegal and his blocking the regulation of derivatives and credit default swaps went a long way toward removing anything that would have prevented that freefall in the markets.

I have not forgotten that he was hired by UBS as soon as he left the Senate, either. He did some good work for them before he left.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Even taking tony's version as fact, it is extraordinarily amusing how he can trace the collapse of the economy under Bush to an action by Clinton a decade earlier, yet Obama is solely responsible for everything that happened after he inherited a blank slate Jan. 21, 2009.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.