1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nah.

I think anyone with a brain new that Trump's position wee extreme because he was trying to establish an opening point in a negotiation.

Trump wants to fix problems. He open to working with people on the fix, but first you need to shake the other side off of their position.

But -- and I was busy last night, so I haven't seen/heard/read it all -- I don't think he did a good job with this "pivot".

I expect his messaging on it will continue to evolve. He'll give the speech originally planned for this week in Colorado, that will be much more coherent.

3. Inky_Wretch

So then you support liberal policies - as long as they have a nativist and isolationist slant ...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah four more years of syphllis and senility will really sharpen and focus his worldview. Dumpf at age 74 will be a dynamite candidate in 2020.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's supporters did. It was a big component of his primary victory.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

When one side sees the other as taking an extreme position, the other side takes an equally extreme position in response.

(Not unlike the abortion issue.)

So, many of Trump's supporters see Dems as supporting open borders. They're enraged by sanctuary cities. They want folks like the guy who killed the girl in San Francisco to be jailed, and or deported permanently.

Currently, the border is a revolving door.

They also resent the Chamber of Commerce, and other "big business" Republicans who are against securing the border because they want the cheap labor.

And, like with other issues, they're willing to blow the whole thing up, and deport the valedictorian who was admitted to Harvard, if that's what it takes to get the other side's attention.

And, I think Trump knows you need to threaten this to get the other side to even come to the negotiating table.

What people have wanted was a secure border first. But, they've been promised this previously, and the promise was not delivered on, even while the reforms that came with the promise were implemented.

Trust has been lost on the issue.

Actually securing the border is the key to all of this, but a lot of people -- on both sides of the aisle -- truly do not want to do this.

old_tony likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but haven't there been Republican presidents and Republican-majority House and/or Senate in the past 50 years?

What did the African-Americans gain?

9. Inky_Wretch

You're giving way too much credit to the rank-and-file "deport 'em all and build that wall!" crowd.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. Sorry. They were and are a bunch of rednecks who pleasured themselves over the idea of "getting tough" and sending all the illegals back to where they came from. This notion that he's just staking out negotiating positions so he can make "great deals!" is revisionist history that kicked in once he started getting challenged on the implausibility of his so-called initial policy positions.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't most "illegals" pay taxes now? In fact, they may be owed a refund because their employer may take out taxes but they may be afraid to file a return.

If an "illegal" is working for someone who isn't taking taxes out, they should throw those folks in jail before they start pulling fingernails from the immigrants.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly (See what you did, YF? You are making me agree with Dickie!)

YF, the excuse that some of Trump's statements are meant as starting points for negotiation, not what he actually means, is utter bullshit. It is just a cover for the fact that he keeps taking unacceptable positions, a way to try to sell him to the undecideds and try to justify supporting him to yourself.

Even if it was true, it would still be a major negative against him. If we can't trust anything Trump statement to be his real position on the issue, we can't trust anything he says.

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.