1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the most favorable scenario you can paint for your candidate is that he's been running a con on his biggest base of supporters, you are well and truly fucked.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But Hillary did something vaguely similar too!

That and killed a bunch of people!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is part of why the entire premise of YF's argument here is flawed. He is trying to paint it as fact that Obama lied during his campaign when clearly is not a fact at all. If anything, I think Obama meant what he said during the campaign, but when public sentiment shifted dramatically, he went along with it. Now if you want to criticize him for failing to stand by his beliefs on the matter, that's fine and fair, but to present the opinion that he was lying as fact is just incorrect. To say that shift over a period of years is comparable to Trump's constant shifting of positions during this campaign is complete bullshit.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Obama did use a lot of deceptive political calculation in articulating his views on gay marriage. If you believe David Axelrod, Obama wanted to come out in support of gay marriage and was talked out of it. He even said he was "bullshitting" voters, IIRC.

But his underlying support for equal civil rights was always there, and made known. It was his preferred method of achieving it that he lied about.

Regardless, that's not even close to what Trump is doing.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or you're Rush Limbaugh.

Rush Limbaugh's Ultimate Betrayal of His Audience

6. outofplace

If you say so, but as you said, the comparison to what Trump is doing does not even come close to holding up. I do think Obama was evasive on the issue. I just got the impression that it was a low priority for him during his first campaign and he didn't want to die fighting on that hill, so to speak.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Let's not forget, also, that Trump's immigration "plan" is pretty clearly impossible to pull off and has no basis in reality. Unlike, say, nebulous nonsupport of a social issue like gay marriage.

That's a pretty big part of why one group gets mocked and the other doesn't.

8. outofplace

You mean it's not the evil and biased media manipulating reality to favor the Democrats? The devil, you say!

9. outofplace

CNN absolutely did the wrong thing in altering the Tweet, but your last sentence is just more of you making shit up.

It is more likely they simply weren't comfortable with the name-calling, not some intentional move to protect Clinton.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also of note, gay marriage was the top issue of a really small percentage of Obama's voters. And even if some of his more culturally conservative minority voters would have been uncomfortable with it, it is doubtful very many would have regarded it as a deal breaker, since they are more used to the idea of political coalitions and the idea you can't get everything you want. (Say, somebody should make a campaign song about that.)

And none of this takes into account the incredible sea change in public opinion on the issue in 5-6 years time. It's the fastest such shift on a policy issue I can remember in my lifetime.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Like closing down Gitmo in his first year in office?

That was a lie too. He knew it. You and I knew it. But, he duped the true believers on that too.

I didn't see the media mock anyone who was duped by that promise though.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They weren't comfortable with the name calling. LOL.

Have they not covered the name calling previously? They didn't want to pass along the name calling, because they fear it will stick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.