1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the specific case of McDowell County and much of central Appalachia, the short, sad answer is no. Even if Emperor-for-Life Trump ordered a coal furnace installed in every home, there's just not enough left in the mountains there that is easily extractable to make the numbers work. Cheaper to buy it from Wyoming and run it through the extra scrubbers to deal with the sulphur content than to cut off the mountaintops back east, scoop out the thin veins that are left, then put it back as a flat-topped mound with baby trees.

West Virginia should have been investing its coal severance tax collections to diversify its economy and survive the coming crash 30-40 years ago at a minimum, probably long before that. Too late now.

Stoney likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because one is the dictionary definition of a person who is repugnant. And the other is repugnant because some Republican looked in a dictionary and thought the word sounded good as applied to Hillary.

If Hillary Clinton burned down an orphanage after delivering 100 rescue puppies and then collected the insurance proceeds, she would not yet approach the moral and anti-intellectual depravity that is Trump, on his best day.

Is she a good candidate? No. And a bad campaigner. And, Whether deserved or not, her reputation is terrible. Biden would be winning this election by 15 points.

But I would rather dig up the bones of Richard Nixon and Joe McCarthy and vote for that ticket, than see Donald Trump on TV again.

It's not a matter of degrees that separates Clinton and Trump, there are galaxies that separate their intellects and disposition to serve as President. A vote for Trump is a vote to give rusty needles with Heroin to toddlers and expect them to cure cancer.

Ace, Deskgrunt50 and cranberry like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because that side believes they are God's Party.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

And the other side believes IT is more important than God.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hillbilly Elegy is a hell of a book about this.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In an attempt to run away from his blatant hypocrisy, YF goes back to his lie about the evil media unfairly covering this election. Sorry, YF, hypocrites like you don't get to whine about possible hypocrisy. People who change their standards of proof depending on whether they like the story or not do not get to whine about the standards of others.

Though I don't accept your premise, I do believe your admission that both candidates are repugnant is progress for you. If it was true, here's the thing. Your candidate is far worse. And I believe you realize that as well, but your hatred for Clinton and party loyalty are pushing you to vote for someone who is unqualified to be president in just about every way.

My evidence? That you try to justify everything Trump says by claiming that he doesn't really mean any of it and you somehow present that as a good thing.

That you argue that he really won't do any damage because he is running to be a figurehead.

Yes, folks, that is YF's argument. He thinks we should vote for Trump because he really won't actually do the job of president and somehow supporting a candidate who isn't even going to do the job if elected is a good thing.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't you have anything better to do?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

After 2500+ pages, has anyone here at sj had their opinion and vote changed by anything that they've read here? Just curious.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not on who to vote for, but I've certainly learned about things I wouldn't have otherwise or had my mind changed about issues and events on the margins.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Suppose they're wheeling you into one of two operating rooms. Behind Door No. 1 is a surgical team that knows not the first thing about surgery, but they're gonna give it their best. Behind Door No. 2 is a surgical team that knows not the first thing about surgery and in all likelihood won't lift a finger while you're in there.

Which door would you prefer?

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.