1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The difference is that Buffett says publicly that his paying less tax than his secretary does shows how fucked up the tax code is. He does not pretend that it makes him a genius businessman.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Times change department. I grew up in Delaware, and in my childhood, youth and long after I moved away it was a swing state. It wasn't until 2000 that it voted for the candidate who wasn't the winner, and well, that was close. Since then, it has always gone Democratic, and the latest poll shows Clinton 21 points up on Trump. So after this election, when you read the think pieces about what it all means based on straight line projection, remember they're all bullshit.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In a speech today, Trump said something to (I'm paraphrasing here) the effect that he was just following the tax code, and that by saving money, he was able to do more for his businesses, for his investors and for his employees.

It was an answer that sounded fairly reasonable, that, hey, he's just doing what he's legally allowed to do and is benefitting from it and so were others.

And the thing is, had he said something like that in the debate, instead of "that makes me smart," there probably wouldn't have been much of a fuss beyond him still not releasing his tax returns. He could have plausible deniability by blaming the government for the tax laws instead of insulting everyone who does pay federal taxes.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump doesn't pay taxes because he doesn't make money

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

McCain is the same politician he was when he elected to the House in the '80s. He's still fairly centrist if you look at empirical evidence (Google it if you need help, or I can point you in the right direction).

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

McCain is within the centrist spectrum on the Republican side. He might've been President if Bush hadn't dragged him down, and if he'd had any idea what the financial crisis was about. I've met him (at the fights at Vegas) and liked him. I didn't vote for him, but that shouldn't be taken as criticism. It is possible (hard to believe on this board, but true) to not vote for a candidate because you liked the other one better.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Any business showing a profit is foolish not to invest in equipment and set up tax deferred pension plan that will reduce profits and taxes to zero. I would much prefer buying a big ass Silverado pick up truck and taking a $50,000 deduction than pay the tax on that profit. Even better buy an appreciating asset like a building.

You want to learn about taking advantage of tax code , talk to farmers.some of the smartest around in exploiting system

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump didn't zero taxes because he's smart but because he lost a billion dollars

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My oldest brother, who is as liberal as they come just texted me. He's going to be in Chicago for business on Election Day, and he wants to come over to watch the results.

Should be interesting. He promised to "behave", which given how things are looking, will probably mean not gloating too much.

10. YankeeFan

Yeah, those farmers and ranchers -- like Sam Donaldson -- sure know how to get their deductions.

11. YankeeFan

Boaters too.

Lots of ships registered in Dover, Delaware.

Right, John Kerry?

Earthman likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Farmers are planners, or they don't last long in business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.