1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Donald Trump’s Taxes - The New Yorker

"Thanks to the quirks of the U.S. tax code, the staggering losses of his failures in the early nineteen-nineties may have helped Trump avoid federal taxes through his late-nineties comeback, the springboard that launched him into politics. The danger for Trump is not that the Times scoop exposes him as a rapacious capitalist who took advantage of the U.S. tax code. He essentially admitted, in the first debate, that there were years when he paid no federal taxes. The bigger threat to him is that the scoop reminds the public that Trump is not a great businessman, but he is a great con man—and his latest mark is the American voter."

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good question. Some additional tax records from Trump would clear it up.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The flood of bad news for Trump is almost too much at this point. A bunch of these could be a major hit, but it's turning into white noise.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She just made the club with that backtrack.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jimmy Hoffa by way of David Mamet. It's a good line.

Hoffa and Trump weren't so unlike, either. Not in their manner, anyhow. They would have been adversaries, of course, back in the day.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We lock horns when you think I'm speaking for myself. I'm not. I am, however, speaking about senitments like the below post:

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Tomorrow, we'll see the most shocking moment of the campaign yet. Two actual adults (ok, vice-presidential candidates) will speak in relatively straightforward English, easily articulate ideas and policies, and display normal levels of empathy.

After that, we're back to the island of misfit toys. Will the nation survive?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Don't say I never gave you nothing YF ...

Amazingly, that's not a story about the current Florida AG (who has shown every sign of being bought off). That was in 2005 to Charlie Crist as he was gearing up to run for governor. The same Crist who is running this fall for the House after becoming, you guessed it, a Democrat.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

So this is how depreciation works. I am no expert and I would welcome corrections. Also this is an oversimplified example whose numbers I made up.

Say you build a hotel for 100 million. The tax law says this asset will lose value because of wear and tear at 10% a year and you get to write off 10 million dollars a year in income. So you would pay no taxes on this hotel's rental income profit up to $10 million dollars per year for 10 years. It does not matter whether the hotel actually loses value.

You pay no taxes on this hotel until the depreciation runs out no matter what the market value. If you sell it after 10 years for say $150 million you would then have to pay taxes on the $50 million dollars in capital gains at a lower rate that regular income tax. You also paid no income taxes for ten years on up to $100 million of income. This rationale is that it encourages people to build hotels, which of course it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.