1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So a guy who keeps boasting about how wealthy he is doesn't make any money? If he doesn't win this election, maybe he'll be on the side of the road with a piece of cardboard and a Sharpie.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That doesn't characterize this discussion at all.

You didn't say the public shouldn't be mad at the GOP nominee's taxes. You questioned why he's being criticized for not paying more than he owes. I argued that is not what the criticism is about. The criticism is about the fact that he has publicly called out others for not paying enough income tax, while the 1995 returns appear to show he likely did not pay any income taxes for 18 years.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wealth and income are not the same thing.

4. bigpern23

I'm not disagreeing.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Of all the shit with Drumpf, the tax thing bothers me the least.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not a "deduction." It's a "loss."

Pretty big difference.

7. bigpern23

OK.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it's a perception. I take all the deductions I'm allowed. That doesn't mean I think it's great that a self-described billionaire hasn't paid a penny in taxes for 18 years.

And as a citizen, I wish that the tax code were simplified so that folks like Trump can't spend $1 million a year to keep from paying $1 million in taxes.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Apparently Jennifer Granholm would have.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

All the taxes he pays would be relevant to the discussion. All we're hearing about is speculation about what he doesn't pay. What about what he does pay?

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

How do you know that he has not paid a penny in taxes in 18 years?

12. bigpern23

I had no idea who that was until you just mentioned it, but yeah, "Not every American looks for every loophole under every rock," is pretty dumb. It's true, but it's an absurd argument. Americans who do not look for every deduction (I won't call them loopholes) are just leaving their own money on the table. I don't fault the GOP nominee for looking for every legal loophole he can.

I don't, however, think he should be calling out citizens who, as far as we know, are doing the exact same thing and looking for every legal means to reduce their own tax burden when he's apparently done it to the tune of nearly a billion dollars. If anything, he should be calling them smart. But in his world, he's the only smart person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.