1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

#OOPBot

JC likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I got some old Schaefer Light tall-boys for opposing partisans ...

dixiehack and Ace like this.
  3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So the consensus is that the problem was not that Trump paid a low tax rate. It's that Trump complained about other people paying a low tax rate while paying a low tax rate himself.

I forget: Where was that tidbit in the A1 above-the-fold New York Times story?

old_tony likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Deal!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mainstream Media Bias!

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems that perhaps people had an irrational emotional reaction to a story, then looked for a way to justify it.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Internal polling on both sides, which is usually much more accurate for a number of reasons, has Trump in a bigger freefall that current public polling suggests.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. The consensus is Trump is full of shit when he says he's a great businessman who will save us all with his DEALS!!!!!!!!

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The story is indeed the $900 million loss. Either he was (perfectly legally) diddling the tax code at the expense of his creditors and stockholders or he is a horseshit businessman albeit first class con man.
    PS: Occam's Razor, gang. If this was the worst thing about his taxes, he should have released them in February with a spiel along the line of "hey, I'm an entrepreneur. Sometimes you win big, sometimes you lose big," a perfectly credible explanation. But he didn't.

Ace and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

So a few weeks ago, someone on here said Trump had "momentum," and idea that struck me more as cute narrative than anything else. Gains don't really build on themselves. They have to be held and built upon, with each step usually being harder. The downside of this sort of momentum is its easily broken.

So now 538 has Clinton at 76-plus percent to win, up from 54.8 in eight days ago (the nowcast, for whatever that's worth, bounced from 52 to 83). She's now listed as ahead in Florida, Ohio, NC and Iowa, and Trump could win every state he's favored in and sweep those and he'll still need to find 10 more electoral votes. Anything can happen, and perhaps a great unhappy white vote will rise up, but man Trump is facing long odds.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd point out that this is lazy and useless, but it really is no worse than the dreck you usually spill all over this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.