1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Abbott, what are their concerns and fears? That there's still an estate tax? That some people they don't like now have health insurance because of Obamacare. That immigrants who don't speak English are doing jobs they can't or won't fill? Is some 60ish former steelworker in Ohio going to become a line cook at Chili's or mow rich people's lawns as people from El Salvador are doing now. I'm white, and to me the idea that white privilege is a thing of the past is bitterly laughable. And even if it didn't exist anymore, why is that bad for society? I'm 67. When I was in elementary school, when Ike was President, we were told the world was changing fast and you'd have to get all the education you could to keep up with it. This was true. The idea there's any way to recreate the 90 percent white, utterly economically dominant America of that era is ridiculous. There needs to be a new model. Both the neoliberal global economy and the America rules economy can't work.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He only writes about Clinton when she's winning?

Double Down and YankeeFan like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He may be depriving Chelsea of a scholarship.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Don't you think people are afraid? I am afraid of what the future holds for many of the people that at one time would make a very good living in factory jobs and the like. They feel helpless and left out. A guy like Trump comes along and offers a guarantee that he will bring the jobs back. Of course his promise is bullshit but if one is desperate they will cling to any hope. The world looks different from when they or their dads were able to raise a family building a car or working in the mines. They watch Fox News or listen to Rush/Hannity and they hear all the right things and damn if it doesn't sound good. However, I have no idea why educated posters such as our board friends would vote for Trump but that is another story.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not only do some folks like former steelworkers hear it and like the sound of it and plan to vote for Trump -- they do so knowing there is no way in hell those jobs are coming back.

But maybe Trump will stick it to those dirty politicians who have screwed things up so bad or whatever.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who's hiding?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's very comforting to think economic anxiety is what fuels the Trump people. But if that was all it was, then his message would appeal to working class people of color, too. It doesn't. It's unpleasant to recognize that anxiety fueled by racism and sexism is the secret to Trump's rise, but it is.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Clinton realized she could take a question or two because the press -- especially her traveling press -- signaled to her that they were so determined to stop Trump, that they would go easy on her.

They also realized that if they didn't signal this, she would only go on entertainment shows, where her staff could script the entire appearance.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The people who have fucked over the American middle class are arrogant obnoxious entitled overbearing egotistical billionaires gaming the system (I.e. taking billion dollar tax writeoffs). They are the people who fuck us. They are the people who destroy our economy, destroy our jobs, and mooch on the leftovers and piss because they want more tax cuts to shovel our tax money into their pockets.

There are 300 million guns in the country. Hmmmm.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because Trump with Dr. Oz was unscripted TV at its best.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And yet the Post didn't see fit to use him as a source and re-do the story, did it? I wonder why.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, on Twitter ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.