1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Where's he supposed to draw from? Charlotte? The Triangle? Votes gotta come from somewhere, and Fayetteville, Jacksonville, Wilmington, etc. are his best bets.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a five-day stretch that comes close to this in modern presidential politics?

Trump's Twitter tantrum today (alliteration!) was pretty nuts. If he loses a large percentage of "establishment" republicans, what really is his percentage of support? 35-40 percent?

Turnout is going to be interesting. At one time, I thought it would be huge because of hard-core supporters on each side and people casting a vote against the other.

Now I'm wondering if it might turn out to be super low turnout. Trump has no ground game. Many republicans might sit it out.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump was in San Antonio today (fundraiser I guess) and said it'd be great if the whole country was run like the Spurs. Matt Yglesias tweeted in response, "heavy reliance on talented immigrants?"

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny how you, me, others in the industry are saying same.

5. dixiehack

Clinton really needs to start spreading the love to down ballot candidates. When she was talking about needing to fix and improve the ACA, she neglected to mention the biggest obstacle, a recalcitrant GOP Congress that refuses to do anything other than take show votes to eliminate it, with no serious plan for what comes next. If she truly wants to accomplish something and not just have the title, this is her best opportunity to put the team in place to help her.

cranberry likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Several of her PACs are now sending money downballot. That's what those candidates want most from her.

Neutral Corner and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh my, eastern North Carolina. My starkest moment as a professor relates to that region. I was teaching at Appalachian State, an assistant professor in my second year on the tenure track. The business school had an annual event in which alums were brought back to serve as guest lecturers (the intent being to get 'em hyped up to donate more and more). They had more alums than classes that spring, so they asked me to volunteer my class. I said sure, because that's what you do when you're in your second year on the tenure track.

Anyway, come class time in walks this goober whose family has a lumber mill down that way. He proceeds to wind through some sort of a talk with no point and no direction, but I thought, "Hey, what can you expect?" Then he brings up a slide show about his family's business.

Every person in the office? White. Every person out on the production floor? Black. He's two slides in and I'm starting to sweat. Then he starts to narrate. "This is so-and-so, she's a great person. Here's the chute where we bring the logs from the trucks into the mill. That guy there, that's so-and-so, he ain't too smart."

I hopped up in a nano-second to say, "Well, I'm sorry to interrupt, but we've got a test next week and I know these students want me to review thus-and-such. Thank you Bubba for that great presentation!" First chance I got I informed the dean that: A) I shut that dumb MF as fast and as politely as I could; B) I wanted it IN WRITING that I wasn't the one who put that fool in front of my class; and C ) in the future, count me out of any and all opportunities to let alums get in front of my class.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

She might have heard you. She had a plug for Murphy in the Florida senate race today. Hadn't looked at polls in that for awhile. Rubio was up pretty big last month. Now it's pretty tight. If dems can pick up that Florida seat, that would be pretty big.

9. dixiehack

My understanding from professor friends is this applies to every possible solicitation, from buying Girl Scout cookies to contract murder.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Remember: They hate her.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I have no idea which one of us is right. It just seemed off to me when considering the demographics. I'd also bet Trump is doing decently well in the Charlotte/Triangle/Triad suburbs.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Keep hope alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.